Reaction score
Hi Folks,

While driving my girlfriends Trophy for the first time in ages the other night I was doing maybe 80MPH when I changed from 5th to 4th & put the throttle to the floor. Lots of smoke came out of the exhaust - after double checking it (repeated the gearchange) the same thing happened. We're talking serious amounts of smoke here.

Tried doing the same thing through the gearbox (3rd to 2nd; 4th to 3rd etc); the same thing was happening. I then tried accelerating flat out from standstill, Q exactly the same thing @ c.5200RPM. Went through the 'box again and noticed that its happening at c.5200RPM in every gear.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I presume that 5200RPM is 'on cam' & it could be related to the valve stem seals or something similar?

I'd appreciate any input on this........

Reaction score
5200rpm is as you said the point where the valve timing changes to 'higher lift'.

What colour was the smoke?

Have you checked the oil level, incase theres too much?

Was anything else happening except from the smoke?

Reaction score
How many miles???

If you drive round town then escape to the country lanes the first time you nail it you may see a puff, it's just the system cleaning itself out.

Blocked air filter may cause this also.

Wrong oil or over filling?

What fuel are you using 95 or 98??

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My guess would be 1. if its had a recent oil change or service it's been overfilled or 2. more serious, the head gasket or piston rings are on their way out.

I'd get it into a steeler. It's still under warranty so shouldn't cost you anything, regardless of who's serviced it.

If was blue ish smoke (and the way you describe it happening i'd suggest it was) that's bad news.

From cold it may be just steam as it's been cold the last couple of days but you wouldn't really be able to see it in the rear view mirror doing 80mph.

If it hasn't been run for a while it could be just carbon in the system, cleaning itself out but for it to happen over a constant timescale and through so many different gears i'd suggest it isn't.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far:

1. Oil level is fine.
2. Not sure of the color of the smoke - was at night; unlikely its anything other than blue I'd imagine.
3. No other symptoms
4. 15800 miles - FRSH (1 service!)
5. 95RON
6. First time it had been driven 'enthusiastically' in a long time

Thanks,

D20903

Reaction score
Going through the Renault Sport site:

How does the VVT work in my car?
The solenoid valve is closed at rest. It authorises the passage of oil to control the phase shifter in line with the operation of the engine: - if the engine speed is between 1,800 and 6,500 rpm, - if the throttle potentiometer is not at no-load NOTE: if the solenoid valve is jammed in the open position this will result in an unstable idle and the pressure in the manifold at idle will be too high. This affects the mechanical timing of your inlet valves and the other mechanical components: pistons/exhaust valves. The result will affect the volumetric efficiency of the engine, hence a change to the fuel and ignition maps. The solenoid only opens or closes as detailed above and it is not continuously variable.

From the above I assume therefore It lets more oil into the top of the head during the vale timing switch over? Could be why.

Reaction score
Most likely condensation in the exhaust check all levels if OK then go out and drive it like you stole it till the smoke stops mine was doing this until I tuke it for a good drive :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
unless you've removed the 2.0 and replaced it with a steam engine i doubt at 80mph you'd see the steam though... yes at low speeds but the air being pushed over and under the car would pull any steam away from the rear of the car rather than upwards to the rear screen (for it to be seen).

If you were accurate and can replicate this at say 60+ mph i'd say it's not steam.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd agree with Matt and Neal if this happened once or twice but not when it is so repeatable again and again, it's happened to me going quite fast but once it was gone it was gone.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine does this when i hit 5000RPM + I assumed it had not had a good thrashing for some time and was cleaning itself out. It looks like steam and lots of it! only been driving it for 2 days and its been in the garage for 2 weeks+ not being driven, thought this could be why!? Its just had a service and the oil level is right up to the 'Max' mark. but its more like steam than oil burning smoke though.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Also id just washed the car and water most definetly went in the exhausts!

Reaction score
Mine used to do this also.
Especially on cold mornings the first time you gave it any heavy right foot.
Not done it since I've had the Milltek on though.
When it was being fitted the bloke fitting it called me over to look at the old exhaust, he picked it up,shook it and you could hear water sloshing around inside - he said 182 exhausts are well known for retaining water - which can make them rot prematurely.
As I said doesn't do it anymore.

Reaction score
There's been some 'previous' on this subject.
http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ight=#7716.
opinions were divide then....

I'm a strong believer in the condensation theory although I also cannot quite square it off with my experiences of repeated 'drop out' on the rear window. Even at high speeds.

If it is water, there's a hell of a lot and I would be fearfull for exhaust life. interesting that the Miltech is fine.
SILKMAN

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well i took the car out for a spin today and its fine so i guess it was just water after all, just floored it in 2nd a few times.

Reaction score
mine used to do this also if i had been driving around towns for a couple of weeks.
you need to give it the beans more !!

Reaction score
I have this issue with mine , and im confident its the exhaust the angle of the tail pipes seem to run up ever so slightly allowing water to run in , because i dont use mine alot every time i raise the revs over 5200rpm i get the steam train effect :(

ive tried to adjust the angle of the exhaust which has helped alittle , ive had mine back to the dealers more than once with this issue , no loss of water ,no oil its defo just steam , but it fills the rear view and i get water on the back window, does get peeps looking and it certainly doesnt look good .

Ive got the dealer to keep a record of my complaint and ive also notified reno uk so that when i my exhaust falls off i have some come back ..