Reaction score
Yep, definitely been fitted the wrong way round as the reservoirs are both facing the front of the car and just had the wheel off and the brake line is tight against the reservoir. I will need to turn full lock and see if it gets any tighter.....

Reaction score
I would avoid moving / driving it in case of damage etc, even though if fitted incorrectly Rentech should repair any damage at no cost!! Pretty easy to swap them over if needs be!

Reaction score
Rentech (Mike) is really good....just one of those things. I can last without using it over the weekend so will get them switched next week.

Cheers

Reaction score
Dampers switched the correct way this morning :) Just need to get the tracking done now. I had standard cup dampers on over the winter and seeming it had been a few years since the last service at BG I got them to do a dyno test and all came up good. Still costs a lot for even a dyno test (£60 +VAT) but at least I know they are still pukka.

Reaction score
That's very unlike Mike. He's usually good as gold. Presumably he didn't remove them and was simply fitting them to replace other dampers, so had no reference point. I'm slightly surprised he didn't check online or with Renault regarding them being side specific before fitting.

Reaction score
That's very unlike Mike. He's usually good as gold. Presumably he didn't remove them and was simply fitting them to replace other dampers, so had no reference point. I'm slightly surprised he didn't check online or with Renault regarding them being side specific before fitting.

Mike(RenTech) is brilliant. Used him for the last 8 years.....was just a misunderstanding by his apprentice. No harm done and all sorted.

Reaction score
Need some advice guys. I need to get my dampers rebuilt, but it's likely my Trophy will be SORN'd/garaged for the next 10-12 months. Would I be ok to get the dampers done now or am I better off waiting until it's back on the road? Ideally, I'd like to do them now as I have the front end in bits and wanted to get it finished off. However, I don't want to get them done if I'm taking time off their life span without getting any use from them. Ben @ BG reckons they'll be fine if the car is garaged (which it will be), but then of course he's going to say that as he wants the work. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Need some advice guys. I need to get my dampers rebuilt, but it's likely my Trophy will be SORN'd/garaged for the next 10-12 months. Would I be ok to get the dampers done now or am I better off waiting until it's back on the road? Ideally, I'd like to do them now as I have the front end in bits and wanted to get it finished off. However, I don't want to get them done if I'm taking time off their life span without getting any use from them. Ben @ BG reckons they'll be fine if the car is garaged (which it will be), but then of course he's going to say that as he wants the work. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

How do you think any suspension maker / car dealer or motor factors work with storing parts ?

They can have items sitting on a shelf for days / weeks / Months & in some cases years.
I have seen a set of shocks sitting for 6 months on a shelf and then "boom" they are sold and away a happy customer goes.

I have had mine in a box since Dec 2014 so for almost 6 months they have been sitting in a dry cool space all wrapped up in bubble wrap in a box. Ben has assured me this will be fine and there will be no issue which i very much doubt.

This is wear running CUP shocks comes into play or even better having two sets of dampers like some forum users.

Reaction score
Had mine done at Cornering Force, the boys, Simon & Mike.

Took couple if weeks, Simon was happy to chat about how the Sachs work & run through the graphs & the message that they stand by their work so come back if any probs. Good email communication with Mike well. So good customer service!

One of mine deeloped a clunk after fitting. Went back to CF who kindly agreed to fix a few days later.

The canister end cap had a small hairline crack so was letting the nitrogen out. New one & £18 later, I'm on my way!

Can really drive the car now! Three wheels yo ;)

atl

Reaction score
So my saga with BG at Silverstone.

Initially emailed Jane inquiring about the cost, she advised me it would be around £450 for basic service all going well. With powder coating it would take a week to 10 days at most.

I rang up to book them in on Tuesday 7th April. Spoke to Ben and enquired about the new stickers for the shocks. I had worked out a way of reattaching my old stickers which were in good condition but i wanted a set of the new stickers loose just in case anything happens in the future.
Rather bluntly i was told no that would never happen as its company policy because people have sold them on eBay before now and Sachs got peed off about it. I explained why i wanted them and that they would sit in my paperwork folder as a just in case. He then says rather abruptly "and how are you going to stick the old ones back on exactly??". :rolleyes:

Dropped them off at BG on Tuesday 7th.

Hadn't heard anything by the 10th so called them and asked what the status was. I was informed they had been stripped down and one shaft was badly scored and would need replacing the other was borderline. Fair enough, fit two new ones at £120 each.

The dampers were then sent to the powdercoaters and i never heard anything once again. So on the 14th i called them and asked for an update. Jane said she would get Ben to call me as he spoke to the powder coaters last.

I never received a call back so on the 15th i rang again and got through to Ben. When asking for an update and saying yesterday Jane said to ask you he says "pfff dont know why shes said that, i dont know" right...helpful.
Turns out there has been a backlog at the powdercoaters and they havent yet been done! 8 days after i dropped them off. Not BG's fault granted as the work is subbed out, but i was expecting them back that weekend as i wanted to use the car to go to the BTCC at Donington.

Called again on the 16th and BG had rejected the powder coating as the finish wasn't good enough. Im fine with that, but i shouldn't have to keep calling for updates on what going on.

Dampers were then shot blasted again and re powder coated.

On the 21st i actually got a call from BG :eek: to say that the dampers have been rebuilt and are ready to go, but when they were taken off of the dyno the powder finish had been chipped in two places. With the bill being high enough already i wasn't prepared to accept them with the finish chipped, due to corrosion in the future getting under the finish and the dampers starting to rust again.

So they were stripped down and sent back to the powder coaters to be shot blasted and powder coated once again.

Again i didn't hear a thing for a week, called on the 28th and they said they should be ready tomorrow.
Finally picked them back up 22 days after i dropped them off.

The lack of communication was ridiculous. I had to constantly chase for updates, never got calls back and was just left wondering what on earth was going on.
Now i understand they are primarily a motorsport company but i have always had the mind set of keep the customer informed. It's a simple thing to do and stops the customer from getting peed off.
Jane's customer service was great, we got on well had a laugh and a chat whenever i called. I don't think Ben knows what customer service is, it was just difficult and hard work to talk to him or get any information out of him.
When i picked the dampers up i complained to BG with regard to everything mentioned here.

I wouldn't have sent the dampers anywhere else but christ was it a painful, long experience, with a near £800 bill at the end of it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pftt, you should try dealing with AST. Your experience is not great to hear especially when set against the very good customer service from CF (see above) My new ones will be going to BG but have to admit the conversation I had with him was 'difficult'.

Reaction score
Funny how different people have different experiences, both my experiences with BG have been great, and my experience with cornering force was awful, took them over 3 months to service and return my dampers with no communication during the entire process, just seems to be a case of luck these days!!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I have to say that my experience with BG was prob the best i have had with a company.
I got regular e-mail updates with Pictures added along with information on the process of them.

Ben then called with any issues and parts that was needed and he informed me that some parts where needing to be ordered from ZF Sachs in germany and he gave me a turn around time of just over 4 weeks but after 3 i had them back as new. BG even arranged the collection and redelivery of them (at my cost) as i was not using someone like royal snail who have binned a set of these in the past.

Re The Stickers -

I have tried my best to get stickers from all angles and "No One" will sell them on there own or hand them out. I offered BG money for a spare set but once again nothing and was told no. From my understanding its not BG but ZF Sachs that have said about the stickers and as an authorised dealer / repairer there hands are tied and can not / will not sell them.

I must admit that i was lucky enough to get a set of "Original" stickers before sachs changed the design from Renault UK with a cover letter saying these will not be handed out to anyone and i got them under special instruction.

Renault will also "NOT" hand these out or sell them no matter what the cause or circumstances as once again i have tried and tried.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi sent my original trophy dampers to BG back in 2010 and was more than happy with the service.

so now 6 years on and on my second trophy i have sent these ones off today. they have warned me that they are busy and i will have to wait a few weeks so here go's.....

thanks oliver

Reaction score
Hi sent my original trophy dampers to BG back in 2010 and was more than happy with the service.

so now 6 years on and on my second trophy i have sent these ones off today. they have warned me that they are busy and i will have to wait a few weeks so here go's.....

thanks oliver

I sent mine off to BG on Thursday. Funnily enough, mine were last done in 2010 too. Got a call on Friday to say they'd been received and all was well (despite the box splitting during transit!).

Service has been excellent so far - quite surprised by a couple of the posts above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just booked a slot for mine to be sorted out at BG. Trying to work out if I should get a set of cup shocks to put on temporarily or not...