Reaction score
My Trophy has been sat in the garage now for a long time and the wheel bolts have gone very rusty! I could take them off and give them a brush up with a wire brush and polish them up with some wire wool, but for them to rust they have obviously lost a protective coating of some sort???

Any one else experienced this problem and if so what’s the best fix?

Cheers
Rob

Reaction score
I too have rusty nuts...no I'm not ginger ;) ha sorry to anyone who is.

No, my wheel bolts are rusty I took them off a year or so ago, sanded them, degreased and so on. Then gave them a coat just on the top side with some silver hammerite and they looked like factory supplied bolts. However every time I now take the wheels off the wrench starts to flake the paint off!!

When I find out the exact size and length I'll be buying some new ones.

Reaction score
Wheel bolts are M12 x 1.5 and 24mm long they don't come with a coat usually unless stated as there be 10.9 steel I know tpi do some nice coloured ones and there was a group by on cs forum hope this helps.

Reaction score
When I bought mine last year, all mine looked in a poor state. Two of which then snapped when being undone! I then replaced the lot with TPI Polarised Bolts, which are also a lot stronger than the standard bolts.

Reaction score
Jon there the ones I would like th polarised set or a black set. Where did you get the polarised from and do they not look strange with the anthracite?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wheel bolts are M12 x 1.5 and 24mm long they don't come with a coat usually unless stated as there be 10.9 steel I know tpi do some nice coloured ones and there was a group by on cs forum hope this helps.

Don't like to disagree but I'd say they almost certainly have some kind of finish/coating as if they didn't most would have rusted almost straight away and mine though not like new arn't far off. I've always thought that wheel cleaning preparations were responsible for eating into the coating and speeding up the rusting process.

Reaction score
You may be rite there may be a small amount of protection on the outside possible galvanised but from the look of my spare bolts in the locker box it looks like there just neat steel. Ideally somthing like the tpi bolts may last longer but will still end up corroding after a period of time. Even alloy wheel nuts as soon as there cracked will corrode and BMW use painted black bolts these corrode worse than the Renault bolts. I'm not sure if you can get hold of strong stanless steel bolts as stainless usually is weaker than steel but that would last.

Reaction score
Most definately acidic based wheel cleaners corrode the bolts. Mine are fine, no sign of rust, previous owners musn't have used anything like this. I use Bilberry wheel cleaner which isn't acidic. The stuff that car washes spray on your alloys, now that's acidic! They have to be effective in seconds to make the wheels 'look' cleaner and will chomp into those bolts, not to mention the laquer on the alloys.

Neat steel will rust as soon as it's exposed to the elements, like brake discs, so the bolts have to have some sort of coating. Electric type coatings are best for this sort of thing, unlike, as you say, paint!

Reaction score
I've also gone for polarised, only picture I have to hand:

6985943281_1f549292c4_z.jpg

Massive improvement imo.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I wnat these but i have no idea what to get and £50+ for bolts seems steep

Reaction score
Took all my bolts out, cleaned them and put a light coating of grease over them as I don't have a lacquer atm. They have come up good.

SAM_0017.jpg

SAM_0009.jpg