Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'd be really interested to see one of these being worked, can you do things like concentrate on the mid range power, alter the rev limiter etc?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah, i seem to have restored the clever/ dumb balance with that, perhaps i should keep my imagination in check a little more :)

Reaction score
Right, I have just re-read the whole thread & unless it's too early & my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet I have a question.....

If you purchase the product key you can alter the maps yourself using the datalog as a guideline?

Sorry for the stupidity

Reaction score
No dont think you cant alter them yourself.
The product key is just so you can use the RSTuner Pro on other RS cars.
You have to take your car for a good run, collect the data, save it then send it to henk.
He will create a custom map based on the info you sent him.
Once you recieve it back you just upload it to your ECU.

Reaction score
scott said:
No dont think you cant alter them yourself.
The product key is just so you can use the RSTuner Pro on other RS cars.
You have to take your car for a good run, collect the data, save it then send it to henk.
He will create a custom map based on the info you sent him.
Once you recieve it back you just upload it to your ECU.

Thats a damn shame :x

Reaction score
scott said:
Its probably not a bad thing, imagine how mad you would be if you adjusted something and your engine go boom boom. :cry:

Then that would be purely down to stupidity imo mate.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have some friends that own a tuning co. & the mapper is fantastic.
It would be him that played with the map, not myself. :wink:

Just a shame it can't be done :(

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive been following this topic with alot of interest. This RSTuner sound like a very good piece of kit.
So let me get this straight:
You plug the RSTuner into your cars ECU,
Take the car for a few test spins taking it up to the limit,
Send the data to Hank at Fastchips and he will send you the data back but modified to suite,
Then you upload it to the RSTuner, plug it back into your car and upload the files to the ECU !

Reaction score
BenG266 said:
Ive been following this topic with alot of interest. This RSTuner sound like a very good piece of kit.
So let me get this straight:
You plug the RSTuner into your cars ECU,
Take the car for a few test spins taking it up to the limit,
Send the data to Hank at Fastchips and he will send you the data back but modified to suite,
Then you upload it to the RSTuner, plug it back into your car and upload the files to the ECU !

yes thats correct, you dont plug it direct into the ECU, just plugs into the port under the ashtray.
When he sends the map back you save it to your laptop, then you plug the RSTuner into your ODB port, choose write cal or write ECU tab, Henk will tell you which type of file it is, this then asks you which file you want to write to the ECU, you choose from the laptop the file you want and click install. Sorted.
To read you ECU takes about 5 mins. Dont know how long it take to write the full ECU.
To upload a write cal file only takes about 1min.
A write cal is just a partial write of the ECU.
A write ECU is a full write of the ECU.
Its really easy to use, just make sure you read the manual first.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ok, So what does Hank charge for writing and sending the data each time?
Does the RSTuner create a graph to show RPM/BHP/Torque so you can compare before and after?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So would you say, unless you want the very best and get a live-remap, the RSTuner is the way to go.

Reaction score
I dont have any mods on mine appart from acoustic valve removal and k&n filter, but yes i would think its the next best thing to live mapping if not the same. After all Henk is reading the same data they would read on a live map and if you sent him a few runs of data im sure he could optimise the map based on them. :)

Just something to think about, I e-mailed Henk asking why other mapping places quote 8-10bhp and 20-30nm torque and his reply was they dont get as much as quoted on a standard car, a more realistic figure is 4bhp and 10-15nm torque on a standard car.

I just wish i knew someone near me with another map so i could download it and see if its as good as Henks.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you can remap a standard engine and gain more power and responsivness from it, then why are engines not mapped to that level anyways when they leave the factory?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They are mapped for best fuel economy, least engine stress and for general optimum use in all conditions from motorways to pootling around town.

I.E. They compromise.

Reaction score
hmmmmm, sorry to dredge up an old thread but these figures mentioned are a little disapointing!

I assumed out of the factory the 182 Trophy would be pushing at least 175BHP at the wheels and with exhaust, map and maxogen would be approx 190-195 BHP?????

I am used to turbo charged cars and mods there i know make BHP/torque increases easier, also i am aware the Trophy has a highly tuned engine but 160 ish BHP when it claims 179 is poor!

Reason i ask is i am looking at a trophy with Maxogen and exhaust on at the moment with 21k on the clock and was going to get a re-map as well.

A lot of you are using RSmap so is this better than the k-tec map?

Cheers

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
the bhp figures reno quote are for the fly not the wheels, to be fair most 182's push out around the 150 mark iirc at the wheels as standard as there's a fair bit lost in the drive train.

With a maxogen, engines map, 'zorst, port match etc you'd be looking at the early 190's at the fly. You'd need to spend large to get it into the late 190's and over the magical 200 mark.

Plus the 182 engine is famous for not letting all it's horses gallop until over the 25k mile mark.

k-tec map is an off the shelf affair - pretty pointless when you're sticking custom mods on the car. Far better to give RS Tuning a call and get a live map or get this kit from Henk and send him the schematics to custom design a map for you.

Reaction score
Cheers for that, definately want to go the custome map route, thought that is what k-tec were offering. I am happy with 190BHP ish to be honest. DOnt want to get in to cam and manifold changes for 5 BHP or so! Will upgrade brakes first...

How much is the custom RS map kit? Sounds like the route to go. I take it from what I have read this allows you to map the car yourself and make it suitable to you personally?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
sort of yes, i've not used it personally - 7mat and a few others that have used may be of more help. Custom maps aren't 'Live mapped', i'm not sure if it's industry terminology or not but the best option (and priciest) is a live map.

Reaction score
Is anybody using this at the moment if so what are your thoughts?

RS tuning looks the best bet but at around £400 its alot more money for a similar job or is it?

Has anyone had there performance gains with the rstuner verified on a rolling road?