Reaction score
Hi - probably a dumb question, but if I want to get #478 feeling as "new" as I can, and i'm already all-in for a BG damper refurb, assume it makes sense to do the rears as well.

Original sachs rears seem to be £105 as well - questions are:

- Just the shocks, or make sense for Springs as well?
- Any other bits- front or rear - that would make sense replacing?
- If i go for the Mark Fish setup next year, assume these will be surplus as he uses different shocks?
- Car has 76k miles, would you typically expect the dampers to be tired at this point and/or have been replaced previously?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If the springs aren't damaged, I don't think I'd be too concerned about replacing them. That said, now could be a good opportunity to 'upgrade' to Cooksport springs, or Eibach Sportlines.

For the rear shocks, the options are standard replacements, Koni adjustable shocks, or Mark Fish components.

That said, if you do decide to go a Mark Fish setup (rear dampers & springs), I wouldn't replace either rear dampers or springs until you've made that visit. Like you say, that would make your purchases surplus.

Others doing a suspension refresh often change track rods, track rod ends, wishbones, ARB bushes, steering rack bushes & lower ball joints. Tightens everything up, apparently. Have I missed anything else guys?

From my personal experience my rear damper was weeping slightly at 39k when I bought the car so I went for Koni adjustables, with no complaints - they perform well!

I also fitted Eibach Sportlines, which are superb - they remove so much harshness at low speed, without any discernible compromise to the ride at high speed. I've since sold them and currently run Cooksport springs (developed by Clio Cup racer, Josh Cook), as they offer more pleasing aesthetics, even if some of the low speed crashing has returned, although not to the extent of the OEM setup.

For me the MF setup makes the Trophy look perfect without going down the coilover route, but I've not driven it so can't comment on how it performs.

You're welcome to a drive of mine for comparison.

Reaction score
Morning, I have just gone through the same process this year.

My personal choice was original Sachs and Eibach Sportlines as well as replacing the top mounts. Renault helpfully do not supply new mounts with the rear Sachs so I got mine from Powerflex. Whilst you are at it I would check the condition of the rear bushes, mine were okay so I've left them.

I got my prefered option by using this site, plenty of previous posts from owners looking from enhanced fast road to track to a lower look, it really depends on what you are looking for I've gone for an original "enhancement" that does me fine, but there are plenty of options to investigate!

Reaction score
I went Mark Fish supplied Koni adjustables purely because Renault rear Sachs were on back order with no ETA of when they would be back in stock, I couldnt afford to wait as the rear of the car was stepping out when cornering on uneven surfaces! You might want to check if Renault have any stock before considering replacement Sachs as an option.

Reaction score
Thanks all- food for thought. Going to prepare me a parts spreadsheet i think - a lot of different bits there!

Does anyone have a perspective on the KTEC top suspension mounts? they also have updating bushings, but assume can just get from powerflex directly..

Reaction score
ooof, that site (PMS!). Some lovely stuff there - and my "if you're doing it, do it properly" mantra has just significantly increased the total spend. Thinking the reinforced wishbones, the sold top mounts and the strut brace (if that makes any difference?). But is starting to get very expensive...!

Reaction score
Yes I'm in the the same boat front sachs coming off this week and have new rears on order but thinking cooksport springs pms top mounts and brace and they new rear anti roll bar looks good to bigspend on its way i think

Reaction score
dont think a brace is worth it unless you are going to track it, im loving my Mark Fish set up, still need to take it down to him to get a geo/camber done, but that will be next year now