Rear shock absorbers

Have you replaced your rear shock absorbers?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So much is made of the front shocks for good reason but I was curious to see how many people have replaced the rears.

My fronts are in need of a refurb so, when I get round to it, contemplating getting the rears done too given they're on over 92k miles.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As soon as I can get around to it this summer I will be fitting a refurbed set of fronts fitted with the Mark Fish springs, I've also got a set of his rear Koni dampers to match with his rear springs. But I still have a couple of sets of OE Sachs rears that will be refitted at some point. I wouldn't look any further than these two if you are going to keep the Sachs on the front.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My original Sachs rears were replaced with off-the-shelf Koni adjustable items, and I've adjusted them to match my driving style.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm fitting some new Sachs rear dampers next week. I have off-the-shelf Koni dampers fitted currently but I'm reverting back to Sachs. No particular reason. These will be the 4th set fitted to the car during its life.

Reaction score
My originals didn't need replacing but a found a great deal on a brand new pair of OEM rears so I bought and fitted them at 70k miles. Didn't notice any difference so I've kept the originals 'just in case'.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not noticing a difference is making me think to leave it for a while. They don't seem to be too difficult to change out and money is already tight for car related spending this summer so would be easy enough to do whenever.

Reaction score
Not noticing a difference is making me think to leave it for a while. They don't seem to be too difficult to change out and money is already tight for car related spending this summer so would be easy enough to do whenever.

Piece of piss to change, I only did mine because I got the new ones so cheap. Just tested the old ones and they are very firm with a good 'return', definately didn't need doing.

Reaction score
Replaced the rears with OEM items just because they looked so ratty and I thought a car of the Trophy's handling prowess deserved to be kept in tip top condition. I'm not sure they needed changing but the top mounts certainly did, they were falling apart. I used powerflex purple replacements as the Sachs are supplied bare. I kept the original shocks just in case the next owner wants to return it all to original spec (new items are black not grey/silver!)

Changing them couldn't be easier, 10 mins per side now I know what I'm doing, although you'd have to factor in time for a penetrating oil to work to make the job easier.

Reaction score
The previous owner refurbed, depinned and powder coated the fronts not long ago, the car has a PMS strut brace and therefore solid top mounts which surprisingly offer a fantastically compliant ride. It's an upgrade I recommend to anyone. Rear shocks were in situ since the car was new. The rear mounts were disintegrating and totally perished. They were in shocking condition. Changing the rear shocks and top mounts transformed the car, the rear end feels 'keyed in' to the rest of the car now and even though it was great to drive before it's even better now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can the originals be re-gassed?

I picked up a spare set some time ago from 'parts reunited' for £103.42 the pair and fitted in 2012 so probably at that stage where they may be due for replacement.