Reaction score
Well, it's been a day of mixed emotions and 500 odd miles in 2 very special cars. I left Brighton this morning and took a roundabout route to Cheltenham via the A272 (one of the best roads in the South of England) in the Trophy and even in the completely atrocious conditions I still had a very enjoyable and highly memorable drive. When I got to the the garage to pick up the R26, I felt incredibly guilty to be leaving the Trophy behind for a newer model.

Having familiarised myself with the R26 though, I felt at home very quickly (I'm a little fickle apparently!) probably helped by the Recaros! Having only done 9 miles when I picked it up, I was expecting it to feel a little strained, but having fully warmed it through I gradually started to run it through the gears pushing fairly hard, but not straining anything. After the first hundred or so miles I started to get a feel for the R26 and it's definitely very agile (not trophy flickable, but still incredibly poised) and can be hustled very fluidly round sweeping B-roads and felt very predictable even with standing water everywhere.

It's noticeably more refined on the motorway - mainly thanks to 6th I think, but also probably thanks to the 18"s and longer wheelbase. It's also clearly got a lot more go in 4th and 5th than the trophy (even keeping the rev's fairly low) and I will be very interested to see how this improves as the miles pile on. What's very worrying at the moment is how thirsty the engine is. Over a 200 odd mile run of motorway's and B-roads it returned 26.7mpg according to the trip comp. On the run up - driving a fair bit harder - the trophy saw a very respectable 36mpg.

So first impressions are that the R26 is incredibly capable and essentially feels like a slightly more modern trophy. The only thing is I don't know whether this is a good thing! It feels slightly more artificial than the trophy, but not in a bad way if that makes any sense?! I guess effectively it just feels like a more modern car (no surprise there!) The big issue now is whether to keep the decals or not. I have got so many different opinions off people so far!

I have been very impressed by the R26 so far, I will be very interested to see how things improve/loosen up over the next few thousand miles.

I'll get some pics up asap! :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
very interesting post!

But its all your fault that i spent most of my Saturday trying to find an R26. I know i wont buy one but still im dying to test one. so today i spent all day around Renault dealerships trying to get a test drive but i cant find one, maybe this is a good thing but i want to play!

On the way home i had some great fun including my first cattle grid at over the speed limit!(not something i would do normally do , what a shock when you don't know its there!) Scary as hell

Looking forward to more trophy R26 comparisons.

Gazza :lol:

Reaction score
I took an R26 out a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Very sturdy in the corners and hardly any wheel spin but a bit of torque steer.

My only issue with it was the same as when I first got the Trophy, you can tell the engine has more to give - a lot more! I ve had the Trophy manifold and remapped with exhaust and itg filter. If I bought a megane I d defo get it remapped that engine is very strong and has a lot more power in its pockets!!

I test drove a yellow one advertised at 18500 - lots of money for Renault.

Supposedly each Renault garage in Newcastle and Sunderland got an R26 as test rides, spoilt up here then!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gazza said:
very interesting post!

On the way home i had some great fun including my first cattle grid at over the speed limit!(not something i would do normally do , what a shock when you don't know its there!) Scary as hell

Do you have any teeth left? :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hoolio said:
Gazza said:
very interesting post!

Do you have any teeth left? :lol:

:D full set luckily.

The trophy is awesome I have discovered so many cool place in it. No more just A to B. I'm finding every cool little road in Essex at the moment

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gazza said:
very interesting post!

But its all your fault that i spent most of my Saturday trying to find an R26. I know i wont buy one but still im dying to test one. so today i spent all day around Renault dealerships trying to get a test drive but i cant find one, maybe this is a good thing but i want to play!

Looking forward to more trophy R26 comparisons.

go to one of the reno track days - they let you drive all the RS models.

Reaction score
Nice one Olly, when are you going to take me for a spin? I'm only still speaking to you because it's an R26!

On the cattle grids - they're much better taken at speed, the wheels don't have time to drop into each gap, trust me, next time you're on a B road blast, take one at 60 or 70, just glides over. This logic does not apply to speed humps.

Reaction score
Hey Olly, good update fella, hopefully your R26 will return better mpg when everything is nicely run in.

Hope to catch up with you on track at sometime in the future, then we can recreate the battle we had at Brands last August! :D

Reaction score
Well, 2 days in and the stickers are off. I tried to persuade myself that I liked them but I just couldn't make it stick. (no pun intended!)

I had the chance to take it for a spin on one of my favourite routes yesterday on some fairly damp roads and can safely say that I am massively impressed. It feels noticeably heavier than the trophy (not surprisingly) but still has the agility that I was hoping for. I've had to adjust my driving style slightly as it is a slightly different beast. You have to be gentler with it and it responds better to fluid movements rather than just chucking it in and waiting for it to bite.

Blimey does it grip though! You can really push it a hell of a lot harder than I have tried so far (i.e. approaching silly speeds!) without it even feeling like it's trying. I'm just waiting for a properly dry day so that I can see how it reacts. I'm also still being fairly gentle (see nervous!) with it as I want to get another few hundred miles under it's belt to let tyres/brakes etc settle.

The most impressive thing so far is the pure acceleration of it. It doesn't feel massively quicker than the trophy (partly as it's a lot quieter I think as it's got the standard exhaust - for the moment!) but it definitely is. Places where the trophy would hit 60ish between bends, the R26 is getting closer to 70+ if you're not careful.

I'm not sure about the gearbox still, but I think it could just be getting used to the 6spd. It doesn't have the positive (albeit slightly gritty) feel of the Trophy, it's a bit slicker but just doesn't feel quite right if that makes any sense?!

There also seems to be a bit more play on the steering from the straight ahead. I.e. on the trophy the slightest movement had you changing direction whereas there is a tiny bit of play on the R26. I guess to most people it would feel pretty damn direct, but having owned the trophy for 18 months I guess my perceptions have been altered!

All in, I'm confident I made the right decision. It looks absolutely fantastic (in my opinion) and feels better put together, more refined and dare I say it, slightly less boy racer - mainly because of the colour!?! but still bloody good fun and very, very quick.

(ITG panel filter has already been ordered - apparently they make a big difference on the Megane's and I have already resigned myself to the fact that a remap is inevitable! It definitely feels like it can handle more power and the RS Tuning remap gives a very healthy 35bhp extra and 50 more Torques. Luuurvely!!!!)

Steve - I'm off to the Gym tonight but let me know when you're around this week and I'll come and take you for a spin

OliS - Will not be on track this year unfortunately as I'm getting married in August and have got a long honeymoon and no holiday left at work (along with absolutely zero cash!!!) I will definitely be up for another track battle though as soon as I have the time and the cashitos!

Reaction score
good to read your write up Chief.... was reading it on MS as well.

your comments echo my thoughts and some of the reasons i have opted for one too so it's reassuring to hear them coming from another Trophy owner :)

but.... where are the pictures?!

G

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I'm going to order a white one in September. :)

Reaction score
Pictures will be up as soon as it's not raining and I've managed to give it a nice spruce! Hopefully by the weekend. If not then it will be there in the flesh at FCS.!

Reaction score
Nice write up - exactly the car ill be looking to replace the Trophy with in a couple of years, although the misses wants an evo :roll:

Reaction score
Very good write up, keep us updated with some more installments.

I was all set on replacing the Trophy with a DC5 Integra but now they do the R26 in White i'm slightly confused.

Am hopefully driving a DC5 on Friday down at AllVehicles so will let you all know how it goes.

Reaction score

I was all set on replacing the Trophy with a DC5 Integra but now they do the R26 in White i'm slightly confused.

Am hopefully driving a DC5 on Friday down at AllVehicles so will let you all know how it goes.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
wrightyrs said:

the new jap civic everytime, not that the R26 is not a good car for the money but the Reno dealership network has put me off ever buying another one!!

G

clarki said:
Nice write up - exactly the car ill be looking to replace the Trophy with in a couple of years, although the misses wants an evo :roll:
Your missus actually wants an Evo? Is this her?
767229741_l.jpg

Reaction score
I'd rather a DC5 than the JDM Civic, or even a DC2... :D

I love the R26, but it's not really my sort of car, I think I've done enough French cars for the moment and it's WAAAAAAYYYY too expensive for me!