Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pictures & Photos' started by DaveS, Jan 3, 2017.
Great work guys! Such a transformation is such a short space of time.
Having bought the car on 31st December we finally put it through its MOT yesterday and passed with no advisories! Since the last update we have been doing further work to tidy her up, mainly cleaning the front suspension etc. to rid it of CV joint grease. Replaced the outer CV joint clips on both sides. One was broken and the other was a jubilee clip! Once done we have cleaned up the front hubs and discs and callipers giving them liberal coats of hammerite - silver hubs and satin black for callipers and centre area of the discs. We also found that the O/S calliper was missing a pad spring clip so we bought a pack of 4 and replaced them all. Finally gave the wheel nuts a coat of satin black to freshen them up.
We then changed the oil and and filter and also replaced the air filter - all genuine Renault
Front end complete
We then moved on to the back. We removed the callipers and stripped them down and sprayed them satin black. Looking at the rear discs they appeared to be too close to the brake mounting bolts. Having removed the discs we found a distinct lack of thrush washers which had in turn cracked the hub bearing shell. Que a replacement set of genuine Renault discs, thrush washers and hub nuts.
The rear dampers were looking a little worse for wear cosmetically, so we stripped them down as best we could and re sprayed them silver, and applied a set of reproduction decals. Finally we gave the rear axle a coat of satin black.
We just need to give the mounting bolts a touch up!
Whilst doing this the wheels have been away to Wheel Clinic in Northampton for a full refurb. Of the 4, 3 needed buckles taking out of them - yet another expense.....
Finally to finish it off the exhaust tails needed a good polish inside and out, and we sourced and fitted and original front splitter.
So after 5 1/2 weeks we have this...
From this 5 1/2 weeks ago...
Good job, looks a lot better now
Once again guys great work! When can I drop mine off?
Doing a sterling job there!
Unbelievable work for under six week's
What a transformation Very well done!
You know, I look at what people are getting done to their cars within 6 weeks and im sat here like 'I really should wash mine as it was last done 2 months ago' hahaha
Exactly! It's been 127 weeks since I last washed #165
Question.... Where did you get the genuine renault splitter from, and was it new,,, at what cost.....
@Big Dave I bought it from a guy Hinkley way who breaks 182's. It's in good condition and even had most of the fixing screws still on it. There are a couple on ebay but as ever collection only. I spotted the one I bought on FB. Right place right time. If you are on FB then worth posting a message on there - the Clio Sport owners club page. Don't look at new the price is frightening!
I'm not sure what the price of the genuine splitter is these days but I recall being quoted (I think) somewhere around the £110 mark years and years ago. That's why I spent a small amount extra and went for the carbon fibre splitter instead!
Other way round now carbon one is far cheaper standard one is £150-£180 trade.
Can I say I prefer the look of the Fabia one anyway.. And it's deeper so more aero and flexible so doesn't break !!
Yep ive got a fabia one on my car, as shortly after i bought the car i broke the original..
Thinking it wouldnt be a lot, i was too bothered. That was until i found out the actual price...
So i keep a look out for a genuine one,, for "originality" purposes only....
Well let me first apologise for not keeping you updated on progress with #338.
Last 3 months have been eventful to say the least. As you might have read elsewhere we snapped the aux belt (clean snapped rather than shredded so no damage to the cam belt). Replaced with a genuine Renault one and tensioner and found that the tansiomer was rubbing against the power steering pump pulley. Couldn't understand why until, with help from @MC1 we discovered that he alternator pulley was too big, thus causing the standard size belt to be too tight. It seems a previous owner has replaced the alternator and used a longer belt to overcome the larger pulley!
We also found the alternator bracket diagonal brace to be missing along with several bolts either not tight, too tight or plain missing. Not trusting that the reported new cam belt and dephaser at its last " service" had been done properly we decided to get them replaced with OEM also fitted a new water pump, aux belt and another new tensioner for good measure. Not unsurprisingly it was found that the timing was also out. Thanks to @MC1 for all his excellent work, if your in the Oxfordshire area and need belts done at home I highly recommend him.
So I'm pleased to report that all is currently well with #338 (well it's French isn't it so who knows what next) and it's getting used most weekends at the Under 17 Car Club where my son is progressing nicely through the grades.
We've treated it to some long overdue genuine floor mats and I have found a new correctly coloured cig lighter (the hole was starting to annoy me). I've also switched the infinity's from the rear for PS3's adjusted the pressures to those recommended by others on here and it nothing short of transformed the ride.
Next job is to replace the slam panel/bonnet seal and finally get round to having the steering wheel re- trimmed. It's not urgent as the one on is in reasonable shape.
Anyway here are a few pictures.....