One just cropped up on eBay

Reaction score
Yeah. We've all got opinions and debates are healthy. My gut feeling is that it has been on the market a couple of weeks nobody has came calling at £5.5k, so that probably says a lot for it. If priced rightly these usually sell straight away.

The main thing is that someone buys it and gets it tip top. As many as possible need to be preserved.

Reaction score
Ecu light will be the lambda sensor as it failed the mot for No Cat fitted. Nice mot person and a quick ecu reset job done. Simple.

Other bits are cheap and out there secondhand.

Would make a nice easy project and you would be quids in.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ashton.
I don't have a downer on the car, just the seller.
If you put a car up for sale, then at least ,,, try and sell the thing..
Im only pointing out the obvious things that it may need spending on it..
The owners updates are interesting reading...
And, the current owner doesn't seem to have done that many miles in it...
We shall wait and see what transpires....

Reaction score
Fair enough Dave, I just don't think it's any more of a "money pit" than any of these cars. If the history shows it's had the necessary belts done , the sachs are ok and there's no major paintwork needed then in reality it's a car you could run and just do the other bits as you go along.
Tend to agree on the seller though, he doesn't seem to be trying too hard.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well somebody put a bid in. Not me. I was very willing to have a look at this car. But whoever was selling it didn't reply to any of my numerous mails...
SO frustrating !!!!!!!!!!!
Did anybody on here bid on it.?????

Reaction score
Thought I better introduce myself, picked up 229 today. Like others I got no reply from the seller during its listing on eBay, but the price seemed reasonable compared to a lot of higher mileage stuff that's been for sale recently, and the owner's thread on here looked like it had been looked after at least in part during its past, so I just thought sod it. Went along today to pick it up, nice young lady selling it. She said it had been a present for her ex but had taken it back when they split. She also said there was a lot of interest and a few due to view after me, but I was ready to buy there and then so got it bought. Not driven it much, apart from home but it seems great, tonnes of character. Have wanted a Trophy for years and cannot wait to take it out tomorrow. This one is a keeper.

Reaction score
Well done Finn, the car looked fine to me, a lot of conjecture over it on here but to me it looked like a sound car. A few little jobs needed doing but with any 10 year old car, let alone a French car, that's going to be the case.
Would be interesting if you can corroborate the full service history which is good if that's the case. For me the bodywork and interior looked spot on which is half the battle with these cars.

Looking forward to your progress with the car and a few pics.

Reaction score
I understand the conjecture, the way the ad played out was suspicious, and the lack of replies from the seller was worrying. With there being so few cars out there for sale anywhere near me I was amazed when this popped up in my own town (in a garage behind an old flat I used to live in!) I've never even see one In the wild so it would have been mad not to take a punt. It's come with a file stacked full of invoices, and apart from a few car park dents and scuffs is pretty honest. It's suits me perfectly as I really didn't want to pay a premium for a garage queen to only use as a daily (though this doesn't mean I will neglect it!). A shade over five and a half k seemed reasonable to me in this day and age of rising prices.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi Fin.
Glad it's gone to an enthusiastic owner.
So are you in or near Blackpool ?
The pic in my signature is from Fairhaven lake...
It was very frustrating not to get any reply to our mails. I think she could've got a lot more for it if she'd just responded.. But hey you seem to have got a good deal...
Happy motoring....

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I actually live in Lytham so I just walked round to see the car! Touch wood it seems like a bargain and I am convinced she could have got a fair bit more for it if she had put a bit more work into the photos and correspondence. Like I said it's far from immaculate but she really didn't seem to know much about the car. Didn't know how to open the boot, find the dip stock or even that the button on the key locked it, so she was just leaving it on the street unlocked over night!! Just a quick question on the locking, when I get out and click the fob the car makes one continuous beep that doesn't stop til I click it again and unlock it. If I leave it unlocked it eventually locks itself. Obviously this is far from ideal, and I have never actually had to ask how to lock a car before but... how do I lock the thing?

Reaction score
Hi Finn,Congratulations on getting this Trophy. Stroke of luck it came up near you, most people have to travel far and wide to look at or buy one.

Enjoy it and get it up to how good it should be.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I actually live in Lytham so I just walked round to see the car! Touch wood it seems like a bargain and I am convinced she could have got a fair bit more for it if she had put a bit more work into the photos and correspondence. Like I said it's far from immaculate but she really didn't seem to know much about the car. Didn't know how to open the boot, find the dip stock or even that the button on the key locked it, so she was just leaving it on the street unlocked over night!! Just a quick question on the locking, when I get out and click the fob the car makes one continuous beep that doesn't stop til I click it again and unlock it. If I leave it unlocked it eventually locks itself. Obviously this is far from ideal, and I have never actually had to ask how to lock a car before but... how do I lock the thing?

99% it will be the bonnet or boot switch faulty. Start there

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and welcome, this forums reputation for advice and helpfulness seems well deserved

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lytham... Sounds like we could have a "mini" meet sometime soon....
Ps take a look at the threads for the Welsh Weekender 2017, if you realy want to find out how these little cars get under our skin...