Reaction score
A quick question - a colleague of mine with a 172 exclusive has shown me how to check the oil level by pressing the wiper stalk when first putting on the ignition.This shows a few blocks in the display to indicate the levels.
Since I've changed my wiper stalk I cant get the display to show the oil level but should it as I never tried this out before changing the stalk. :?:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
You have to press the trip reset button on the dials to show it, not the one on the wiper stalk. You have to press it while it still says OIL OK too, and it wont do this if your cruise control mode switch is on in either mode.

Reaction score
Thanks Nick
It works but I only have 1 square! will have to check it with the old fashioned stick thingy :lol:
My service light was on the otherday briefly but I had been parked on the kerb so was probably due to the oil being low.
Looks like I will have to do an oil service as I have just done 9k miles not due for a while yet as I dont do a lot of miles per year.
Only had it 3 weeks or so.

Reaction score
Thanks Nick
It works but I only have 1 square! will have to check it with the old fashioned stick thingy :lol:
My service light was on the otherday briefly but I had been parked on the kerb so was probably due to the oil being low.
Looks like I will have to do an oil service as I have just done 9k miles not due for a while yet as I dont do a lot of miles per year.
Only had it 3 weeks or so.

Reaction score
How reliable is this method though? I just ask because I'm from the old school of always checking it on the dipstick :?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Lee G said:
How reliable is this method though? I just ask because I'm from the old school of always checking it on the dipstick :?

When it get's to 000-- then just go on the dip stick. It's an indicator of oil level not a reliable measurement.

Mine goes from OOOOO to OOO-- depending on the hill i park on. Checked the oil on Monday and its fully topped up.

It's as reliable as using the miles to go part of the trip computer, i ran out of petrol with it saying 43 miles left. (having done 410 on the tank!!!!!!)

Reaction score
Mines 0_ _ _ _ _ :shock:
i will use the stick thingy and let you know how much this is compared to the dash.
Hopefully theres some in :oops:

Reaction score
Please Please Please Please Please Check Your Oil Using Your Dipstick.....My sensor went faulty and my engine went pop...so now i will never trust the reading on the instument panel..

USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICK
USE THE DIPSTICKUSE THE DIPSTICKUSE THE DIPSTICKUSE THE DIPSTICK

Reaction score
Lee G said:

Just as well you don't have a new M5 which doesn't have a dip stick :?

I agree with you, Lee. I think the driver should always be able to check the oil of a high-performing engine manually.

O.

Reaction score
I used to have an M3 CSL which didn't have a dipstick either :(

I work with electronics and electrical stuff on a day to day basis and there is no way I would put all my trust in them. :!:

Reaction score
0 _ _ _ _ _ !!!! the oil is just on the MIN mark on the dipstick.

Off out to get some :oops:

It looks a bit black so an oil and filter change is needed despite 12000 miles 2 year service interval :?:

Reaction score
Mine has never gone below 0000_ but then that is what a 5000 mile service interval and M1 motorway miles does for your oil consumption! :lol:

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
shiftspark said:
0 _ _ _ _ _ !!!! the oil is just on the MIN mark on the dipstick.

Off out to get some :oops:

It looks a bit black so an oil and filter change is needed despite 12000 miles 2 year service interval :?:
i'd ignore mft's advice on oil changes..... i do a fair few miles a year an have always gone on the proviso of a change every 6 months or 8k, which ever comes sooner.

The Trophy though will be 6 months or 6k as clean oil makes more difference to engine life than any thing else, you look after the internals and you'll get 200k out of these engines.