Reaction score
OliS said:
... I know that it goes against the theory of using mineral/semi syn oils for the running in period, but as far as I am concerned it is too late anyway...

I don't want to deviate from this discussion, but so many people say that running in is not necessary, so maybe it *is* fine for the oil to be fully synth. Personally I would follow Jeremy's advice.

Reaction score
Jeremy has to tow the 'corporate line' as if he recommended mineral oil and the engine blew up, Renault would be responsible. Did you really think he would tell you anything other than what Renault recommend?

Personally id just stick to the oil recommended if i bought a new car. But id never buy a new car, so what do i know?

Reaction score
I don't believe that Elf do an 'Excellium' semi-syn, I think that most dealerships are not too hot on oils and what should be used in the Renaultsport models, my personal advice is to choose your oil, and take it to the dealerships when services are due. That way you have a better chance of knowing what is in your engine! And it is a lot cheaper than paying the dealership for your oil :D

Reaction score
By the way if anyone cares Total oil available from total garages is elf oil. Same stuff packaged differently. Elf own total. So you can get elf oil easily if you want it.

Reaction score
I waited until 1,000 miles to get my oil changed. Just done it today. Went to a Renault main dealer and they changed it to 10W/40! Didn't realise until I looked at the invoice. Called them back and they said 10W/40 will do just fine. Told them I wasn't happy and now I've got to go back for another oil change, this time to 5W/40. Can't get in til Saturday though, Tuesday today.

Will this damage the engine? Jeremy at RUK, what do you think of this? I think its pretty bad when a main dealer is happy to put a lower grade of oil in an engine than that recommended. :(

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think that most Renault dealers put in 10w 40 unfortunately, as this is what goes in all the other clios. I've certainly had it put in my old 172 at services before.

Reaction score
Yup i sadly had 10w 40 put in my full fat. This time i will supply them with the oil i want put in my trophy.

Reaction score
Read a post on Cliosport about a fella who took some Mobil 1 to his dealership, picked up the car and found the technician had left an oil cap that was not from his Mobil 1 in the engine bay! He reckons they took his pricey oil, and just put the normal oil in his car! :evil:

This is why I am doing my oil changes myself, I just can't trust the Renault dealer network! Now that I am all tooled up, if anyone wants to change their own oil round mine, just drop us a pm. :D

Reaction score
I cant believe people have so little common sense.

If Renault put the wrong oil in - make them change it - FREE
If Renault steel your mobil 1 - Tell the service manager youre going to the Police - Get it changed FREE

Renault do these things because people dont complain. If you know theyve put the worng oil in get the twats to change it. If they wont phone trading standards and tell them Renault have failed to maintain a contract of buisiness. Trading standards visit Renault, Renault shit them selves and change your oil. Job done. :roll:

Reaction score
My point is if you change your own oil there is no worry about what Renault may or may not have done, additionally there is no hassle with having to get the police or trading stds involved, it is just nice and easy! :D