Reaction score
What oil have Renault loaded the Trophy up with from new?

Through my other posts here, I was advised not to go to a fully syn after 1000 miles as the oil would be too thin etc, and that I should keep the running in oil in there, but would Renault really tell us to leave a running in oil in the engine for a full 12,000 miles?

Reaction score
i'm going to change mine after 3k, i'm about half way there. I think someone suggested going to semi-synth after that. I'll read into in closer to the time.

Reaction score
Sorry mate, did not make my point very clear :roll: I believe there may be a possibility that Renault may have supplied the car to us with the 5-40 fully syn oil already loaded, otherwise why would they advise that you don't have to change the oil for 12,000 miles? :?

Reaction score
Wait till Nik comes online, he will point you in the right direction. All i nkow about oil is that is makes things slippery.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm not sure what oil is initially loaded in the clio at the factory, but I would imagine its Elf Excellium 5w 40 Semi-Synthetic.

I'm sure i've heared its not wise to put fully synth in until 10k miles or so, but i'm no expert.

I'll probably change mine at 6k (nearly there!) with 5w40 semi synth.

Reaction score
Oli - nice article on the'net that covers running in and also the avoidance of synthetic oil too early. Here's a snippit:

---------------------
Because while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Street riding isn't a controlled environment, so most of the mileage may
not be in "ring loading mode". Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation.
--------------------

check out the article at:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Reaction score
Cheers mate, already seen this article through the Renaultsport forum, think it was you who pointed the article out to me last time! :wink:

I have heard pepole say that the 182 engines are already run in before we take delivery, and I was thinking if they are, then maybe the oil in them when we pick them up from the dealer is already fully syn... :?

Reaction score
Thanks again DH, have already asked the question! Getting a response early next week. Now thinking that even if the engines are run in by Renault, they have not covered enough mileage for fully syn to be used...

Reaction score
I dont know about an F4R, but i know about F7R's.

On a new F7R i would be putting a mineral oil in from 0 miles and running it for about 2,000 miles, changing the oil to mineral again for 2000, then one last mineral change to take it to 6000.

Then id be changing to a semi synthetic and changing every 1-3,000 miles depending on how its driven and how often.

As for running in, the first 1000 to 2000 miles id be trying to combine lower rev loading with short higher rev bursts.

I would be gradually increasing the revs over the first 1000 - 2000 miles such that by 2000 i was using short bursts of full revs for a short time (near limiter for a short time).

I would do the same with the low rev loading such that by 2000 miles i was loading the car up long hills with full throttle in a high gear. After 2000 miles would drive the car as normal. You need to do these two kinds of driving because running in an engine is a compromise and different componenets require different stresses.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Stromba, but it is already too late, have covered 950 miles now, and have been working my way to the redline since 625 miles! Now driving the car as I would normally...

Got a response from the 'Panel of experts' on the Renaultsort website. The fella who replied told me that the engines have not been run in, and that they are 'normally' installed with Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40 from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this oil a fully syn oil? And if it is, would there be any need to go to a semi syn when the initial (600-1000 miles) have been completed with a fully syn oil?

Sorry to keep on going on about this, but I wanted to change my oil at 1000 miles to make sure there is no crappy metal swarf in the oil, but I am unsure as to whether to use fully syn or semi syn...think I may just go for semi syn as it is the safer option!

Cheers all!

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah your right, having just looked it up, Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40 is fully synthetic.

Now I'm confused :?

Reaction score
First of all sorry for confusing you! :D
Secondly, maybe the 'expert' on the R'sport website got it wrong, but how can we tell for sure what oil is in the Trophy from new... :?

Reaction score
Email him back and ask him again! Thats what he is there for so im sure he won't mind looking it up at all. Just trying to look after yout Trophy as much as poss. Im sure he'll answer straight back!

Reaction score
Oli, head over to the forum on the site and PM..

User Name: Jeremy RUK

This bloke knows his stuff... inlcude a link to the technical answer you got and explain your concerns, he will get the definative answer for you.

I know its a pain, but its worth persisting with this, for the sake of your engine.

Best of luck

DH

Reaction score
Bearing in mind the cars first service isnt until 12,000 + miles i would almost guarantee they come with fully synthetic oil in them.

Renault arnt bothered whether your car is a fast one or not (although you can guarantee the press cars have cherry picked run in engines) they just dont want it to blow up until 3 years is up.

Renault dont care. Ill say that again in case no one heard me. Renault dont care.

Take charge and realise that waht is best for Renault isnt what is best for you.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jeremy is a member of this site too, i'm sure he'd happily add any info he can when he next logs in.

Reaction score
Have sent Jeremy a PM through this forum, will see what he advises for us anal people who want to change the oil before 12,000 miles! Will post his reply...

Reaction score
Got a super speedy response from Jeremy, and he confirmed that the 182 engines are normally installed with Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40, a fully syn oil, and he also told me not to deviate from the the oil changes as stated in the owners manual.

Not sure what the rest of you are going to do, if you will still change to a semi syn, but I am going to change to a fully syn just because that is what has already been in my enigne! I know that it goes against the theory of using mineral/semi syn oils for the running in period, but as far as I am concerned it is too late anyway, as most of the running in on my engine has already been completed...but I may as well try to keep my oil as clean as possible.

Good luck working out what you are going to do! :D

Reaction score
Many thanks for doing all of the legwork on this one Oli, I guess if 2 Renault representatives say the same thing, then it must be correct !

Maybe the fact they use fully synthetic oil from the start explains why some of the engines takes ages before they start releasing their pottential power as it might delay the wearing in (running in) of the engine due to its super lubricative (is that a word) efficiency ?