Reaction score
hi,

Been looking to get another car seeing as I have blown my car up at the minute. Now while I love my type R I can't really risk blowing it up again while doing track days. So had a look at swapping to a hot hatch. Looked at all the cars and decided it has to be the clio 182.

Now what I need to know is whats the differences if I look at the trophy ones.. what should I look out for when buying one.

Are they expensive for parts etc. I won't be getting rid of the Type R as its not exactly an every day car but I need something I can happily drive day to day and then go and thrash around the track.

Anyway,about me... I am a married mum of three, my hubby is a mot tester ( very handy when you run an imported car) and puts up with getting dragged to various places on weekends to see cars. I live in Heanor Derbyshire and love being able to just nip car down some fantastic lanes.

Anyway some photos of the current car..9ecaf4ad.jpg

83b826a6.jpg

I do love it but I just cant afford to wreck it as if the gearboxs go its hard to get one for the type R.

Reaction score
Nice motor there:)

The difference between the Trophy and the other variants of the 182 are:-
1 of 500 or less.
V6 spoiler.
Recaros as standard.
Sachs dampers.
Turinis.
Trophy has no climate control, xenons, auto headlights or half leather rear bench.

Things to look for when buying a Trophy are:-
Rear disks wear quickly. £100
Aux belt should be done by 36k or 3yrs. £200
Cam and aux kits should be done by 72k or 5 yrs. £500
Thumb grips on steering wheel split and wheel melts. £300
Front tyre wear. £220 for 2.
Exhaust mounts wear. £30 for rears, £5 for centre section.
Dampers are OK, although there is no sure way of testing them appart from pushing down on the front of the car at each side, there should be no movement at all. Also check there is a 4-5mm gap between the top of the remote res and the bracket that holds it. £150 per side to referb dampers and lots to buy new, something like £1200 per side for front and £120 per side for rears, rears cant be referbed.

Appart from that just all the general stuff like service history and any repairs it has had done to it.

Think you will find if you buy a Trophy from a forum owner it will have been very well looked after.

If your buying one for track days look for one with some good disks, pads and braided hoses fitted, dont get me wrong they are a good brakes standard, just better if upgraded.

Reaction score
To be fair I've run a scooby for the past 3 years so general running costs like tyres and brakes arent really an issue. I would expect any decent performance car to need tyres at about £100 min a corner.

Dont sound bad prices to be fair. I am going to hopefully test drive a normal 182 with club pack on it so will see what I think. I have driven a newer clio but was only the 1.4 as was looking at one on motobility when they first came out.

Had small hatches before but they were a few vvc metros and a rally preped nova. lol Been with big saloon cars the last few years mostly. Just need something that is cheaper for the track... as new engine build on scooby I am looking at £2500 each time pretty much. (hopefully one time only)

Reaction score
Crazychick said:
To be fair I've run a scooby for the past 3 years so general running costs like tyres and brakes arent really an issue. I would expect any decent performance car to need tyres at about £100 min a corner.

Dont sound bad prices to be fair. I am going to hopefully test drive a normal 182 with club pack on it so will see what I think. I have driven a newer clio but was only the 1.4 as was looking at one on motobility when they first came out.

Had small hatches before but they were a few vvc metros and a rally preped nova. lol Been with big saloon cars the last few years mostly. Just need something that is cheaper for the track... as new engine build on scooby I am looking at £2500 each time pretty much. (hopefully one time only)

Well if you like the 182 with club packs, which is actually cup pack, lol, then make sure you test drive a Trophy also, think you will find they are much better in the corners, i used to own a 182 and the Trophy can easy go alot faster around a corner, :).

Reaction score
lol its not blowing engines for fun. Was only running 318 proven bhp, may have been a little more. To be fair I think it was a bad repair as I had only had this scooby just over a month when it went bang and I knew someone had the sump off..

They are also prone to deternation if it had not been run on decent fuel before me.. there are so many reasons it could of gone bang... whatever the reason its a bit expensive to repair if it goes again. Although I do love it, its awesome.

Well driven a 182 with the cup pack today, suitably scared the bloke who came on test drive with me... Enjoyed it, I mean can obviously feel the difference in performance but I had fun. Don't think he was impressed with my roundabout handling.. but there was no point me test driving and driving like Miss Daisy.

will find a trophy to test drive and see what I think etc....

So then, how easy are these to get more power from..... pros and cons to doing so. insurance not really an issue seeing as I am old and female.. lol

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Crazychick said:
So then, how easy are these to get more power from..... pros and cons to doing so. insurance not really an issue seeing as I am old and female.. lol
To get serious power? Probably cost you as much as an engine rebuild on your Type-R plus a bit extra... :) There's not much more to be wrung out of the 2.0 NA lump without some serious investment and work to be fair. To add, the Trophy is as much about the driving dynamics as well - never really designed for BIG power IMHO.

Edit: Pass on my regards to Derbyshire - haven't been back there in quite some time. :lol:

Reaction score
to be fair I am looking for something that I can thrash around on the track but then also do my normal day to day shopping and better than 17mpg would be an advantage.

I have decided its going to be the clio after trying the others. I am not comparing it to my scooby as that would be silly as they are both designed for totally different.

I am not so bothered about costs of mods as long as they are coupled with not losing massive amounts of reliability.. Decent upgrade on my scooby I am looking at 2-3k....

not really after massive power as if I was I would stick with the scooby as it is easily taken to 400plus if I wanted to invest in a 2.5 short block etc.

Reaction score
it doesnt need more than what its got to be honest, a well driven trophy will cheese off alot of cars on track :D get one, you wont regret it.

Reaction score
I have had fast hatches before so know that I will be happy thrashing one around the track. It felt very sure footed around the roundabout today and on the quick changes of direction.

I will have more fun personally passing a few of the lads from my other forums in something like this than if I use scoob as they expect me to be okay in that... I had a few vvc metros but they are ok unless you crash them. My last one of these managed 14second flat quarters at pod and did go around corners great. would often get on 3 wheels around the hard corners.

Reaction score
If its 3 wheel fun your after then the Trophy is good for that! a few people on here have had fun doing it. Upgrades your going to need for tracking is things like brakes! anything other than day to dya driving and the standard ones don't cut the mustard! for a little extra noise a new exhaust is one to do.
Lots of stuff can be done to finish the Trophy off, use the search button and the world is at your finger tips!!!! :D

Reaction score
Better brake set up for track days seems to be the way forward. Disks, pads and lines are not too expensive but if you get some 4pots or something it will be quite expensive, £700+, i think...

Exhaust, remap, acoustic valve removal and filter / induction wont really see you very far, probably about 12bhp for approx £1000. You will still get 30 - 35 mpg with these mods.

The above mods plus TB's you will probably see 220bhp, cost about £3000.

For £4000-£5000 a turbo will see you between 230 and 300bhp.

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help.. Brakes are always a good thing to upgrade on anything.. thats not a bad price for the 4 pots to be honest.

and yes.. I am quite happy to get a car on 3 wheels.. spent most of my starter track days at curborough sprint track at Fradley park in various metros..

To be fair I dont think I would go to the extreme of turboing it as the fact is I prefer NA for the track. Wouldnt go to loud with exhaust either as tracks are clamping down and so are mot stations and its only going to get worse on noise of exhaust with what I read recently from vosa.

Reaction score
hi crazy chick, i own a clio trophy that i'm looking to sell, send me your e.mail and i'll send you all the pics and stuff

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
staying NA and you'll struggle to get above 200 bhp without ITB's.

It depends what you want from the track element - if it's something of a 'badge' in the pits lane then there's loads of cars that quicker on track, caterhams etc will see of the trophy. If it's to be used as a track car with a-b road usability that'll leave you with a smile on your face after driving it, the the Trophy is pretty much top of the list.

power is nothing without control, the trophy is the only phase 2 clio i've driven that actually leaves you questioning why it doesn't have more power, the chassis and suspension combine to outperform the FF and cup 182's on a b-road (talking OEM with no mods).

my list of mods i recommend are brakes, loose a bit of weight, and 'zorst with a remap and you'll be quicker than a base 911 at 4 times the cost.