Reaction score
Hey Guys! I've fancied a new project for a while and finally found what I was looking for today!... I decided to treat myself to a 106 S1 Rallye to use mainly for track days and road rallies! Great spec, just a few little jobs and she's ready for some track action!

I've got a couple of sets of S1 Rallye steels for her but would like to get a set of alloys, any ideas?

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• 106-3.jpg
    106-3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 106-1.jpg
    106-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 106-2.jpg
    106-2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Looks good.

What size are those alloys? 14's or 15's. I'd be going for a set of VTR/S alloys if they fit. Or some Cyclones.

Reaction score
Those are the standard steels which are 14" i think, but 15" would be fine too. VTR/S would fit! I'm thinking maybe a set of 205 gti speedlines or compomotive M0's!

Cyclones would look good too!

Reaction score
Looks awesome :) Been tempted to get an S1 for ages :)

205 1.9 wheels are quite heavy though

Reaction score
Cheers Keith! Yeah pretty happy with it! Didn't know that 205 1.9 alloys were heavy, cheers for the info!

Reaction score
Looks great reminds me of my old one as it was same colour. Always wished I'd kept it & retired it as I bought it with about 50k on the clock & sold it at nearly 100k 4 years later & still felt nice and tight and apart from genuine Peugeot Sport Group N exhaust, GTi rear spoiler and lovely NLA MOMO Corse steering wheel all stock including graphics.

Series 2 steel wheels are half inch wider & many S1 owners buy those as they are light & strong. For me alloys always look wrong on Rallyes unless it's something like a OZ SuperTurismo WRC wheel or maybe something Compomotive like TH1 iirc

Reaction score
I wonder what a set of 2118's would look like! I've got one set of S1 steels and one set of S2 steels which have just been refurbed with brand new yokohama tyres. 15" would be a good option!

Reaction score
Car looks in great condition, looks like the previous owner has done a cracking job on it. What are thoughts so far, bet it goes well down the lanes. What suspension does it have?

Reaction score
I had a number of rallyes, 8v and 16v converted ones. The best was a throttle bodied 16v S1 with bilstein and eibach suspension, which I sold to Mark Yates (the 106parts guy who also sells clio RS192 exhausts) in 2005, looks like Mr Yates has since has it on track (in retrospect morette headlights were a mistake!):

redblog13.jpg

I then had a 205 rallye with a 1400 throttle bodied engine, which can be seen here:

100_0013red.jpg

before having another 16v rallye:

IMG_4330red.jpg

IMG_4333red.jpg

If I were looking for wheels, I can't reccomend the OZ superleggera (or their replacement the ultraleggera) as pictured above on my black 106 highly enough, they're so light!

I hope this post might be slightly informative, if not, it did help me relive my misspent youth!

Reaction score
I regularly see a 106 Rallye near my workplace which has a set of silver Turinis fitted. Looks stunning fair play, really suits the car.

Reaction score
This is the spec.... well so far ;o)

Modifications:
Full OMP cage
Sparco Evo side mounted seats
Seam welded shell
Group n top mount plates + fixed strut brace
Group n engine mounts
Group n exhaust de-cat
powerflex bushes
4-2-1 steel manifold with heat wrap
mintex 1144 pads and 5.1 fluid
quickshift
group n linkages
flocked dash – a pillars and mirror
suede sparco steering wheel
group a rubber stone guards
internal brake and fuel lines
Rear bilsteins
Refurbished front struts with Pts French gravel inserts, new bearings top and bottom, group n top mounts
quick release spare wheel holder
falkner 155ibs springs
cup car sumpguard
tank guard
standard 1.3 engine 85,000miles
Mankee built gearbox
3” 4 point harnesses
S2 steels with yokohama 21’s
ITG panel filter
FIA Master switch
Omp spare wheel holder, quick release
Spotlight brackets and stays, wiring for spots, individually relayed
Twin air horns

and just purchased this:

Attachments

• diff1.jpg
    diff1.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Just a few more updates:

I've also just been offered a set of Suzuki itb's! Off a mate... Only problem is if I fit them it will no longer be eligible for road rallying (which I initially bought the car for), as regs state it must be on standard injection. So I guess it boils down to what I decide to do with it really. I'm sure the little 1.3 would be a little screamer with itb's!

Few more pics of when I got it back:

Attachments

• web-2.jpg
    web-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • web-3.jpg
    web-3.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
ed55j said:
Car looks in great condition, looks like the previous owner has done a cracking job on it. What are thoughts so far, bet it goes well down the lanes. What suspension does it have?

It's not in bad condition at all, I had to do one job on it to get it through the MOT but other than that it sailed through the test. Although the car went in with a CAT on ;o) ;o) a came out without! ;o) ;o)

I found out a bit about it's history too on the Rallye forum which was really useful. The guy I bought it off was only a young lad and I'm not sure if he knew exactly what was on the car all together, so after digging through old posts of previous owners I found out that:

Three owners ago: The guy bought it from JAM motorsport who had seam welded the shell and plated top mounts etc. He spent a lot of money on it building it pretty much to the spec it is today with endurance rallying and road rallies in mind.

2 Owners ago: Bought the car for track days and again spent a bit more on the car having the gearbox re-built etc...

Previous owner: Bought it to run around in, sold it due to buying a 172.

The car isn't concourse by a long way but it is a good solid shell and has quite a few parts on it so I don't need to spent much on it at all.

I've been concentrating on getting the wiring bullet proof on it and tidying up a few areas on the car.

Jobs done so far are:

New exhaust polybushes fitted
Spot / air horn relays inside car
in car fuse box
cage padding fitted
cage light fitted
floor strengthening plate fitted
exhaust heat wrapped with brass nuts
rocker cover gasket replaced
engine de-greased
wiring tidied up
half way through building a navigator dash pod (can't wait to get that finished!)
New 12" Electric fan fitted

Reaction score
ed55j said:

I took it out for a spin for the first time the other day and it was great fun. I'm sure it will be more than capable down the lanes, as the little 1.3 really does pull well for what it is. Although when I got in it at first I thought 'come on' but then I put in into perspective that it is only a 1.3 8v so the performance isn't going to be incredible although it's not too bad.

I guess jumping out from the Trophy to the Rallye doesn't help!

Although I can see myself dropping a 1.6 16v JP4 in it at some point, because I'm sure if I specced the engine too around 140-150bhp the power to weight ratio would put a big smile on your face.

Reaction score
trophy380 said:
Just a few more updates:

I've also just been offered a set of Suzuki itb's! Off a mate... Only problem is if I fit them it will no longer be eligible for road rallying (which I initially bought the car for), as regs state it must be on standard injection. So I guess it boils down to what I decide to do with it really. I'm sure the little 1.3 would be a little screamer with itb's!

Few more pics of when I got it back:

Such a high spec'd car and would be very competitive, personally i would keep the engine standard and go down the road rallying route, so much fun! :)

Reaction score
I think I'll keep the engine pretty standard for a while. It will be good to see how well the little 1.3 performs. If I do make any alterations it would probably be a JP4 engine change, but I wont do that for a while yet.