New daily driver

Slow progress

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Had a wonderful debate with my better half last night….if you replace the Range Rover with something reliable you can get another toy i the garage…. This on paper sounds good.

Things to note;

1. Range Rover has been off the road for 4weeks since New Years….air compressor failure. Brake calliper grenaded! Air suspension bags split(probably due to the new compressor)

2. Due to drive width and garage space, budget etc another fun car would have to be;
- Fiat Panda 100hp
- Renault Sport Twingo 133
- Rover Mini Cooper (probably a rusty one!)
- MG Midget
- Abarth 595
- Caterham (will have to save for quite some time!)

3. Daily reliable drivers are as follows (they’re not quick!);
- Honda Civic Sports Tourer 1.6d
- Volvo v70 D2 or D3 - Auto
- Skoda Superb 2.0TDi (140bhp) - Auto
- Skoda Superb 1.6Tdi green line- Manual

All inputs most welcome, which option stick/twist…..if twist what combination?

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I sold my daily Golf R estate around the time I bought my current Trophy. I had use of another car so I wasn’t in a rush to by another daily.

In December I bought a MK5 Golf GT TDI. It’s been a great car. Few bits have needed sorted out (heater blower resistor and rear wiper motor) but other than that I think it’s a great car….and I don’t care where I park it!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had the 190 bhp Skoda Superb L&K trim estate for a few years (66 plate) and it was a fantastic car. So comfortable, hug in the back, really nicely specced (cooled seats, huge sunroof etc etc). I only changed to go electric, otherwise I wouldn't have sold it.

It did about 55mpg on the motorway too.

Reaction score
2. Fun Car:
I'd recommend a late model R53 Mini Cooper S that has had it's chain guide checked and front strut towers checked for mushrooming. These are incredible fun and the supercharger noise is addictive. The neutral/tail happy nature is great fun.

3. Daily:
e91 330i estate: these have the very reliable n52 3.0 straight 6 with 260 odd hp. Great on fuel on long drives, even around town I used to average around 11L/100km city (6mt 130i with the same motor) and 8L/100km highway

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
3. Daily:
e91 330i estate: these have the very reliable n52 3.0 straight 6 with 260 odd hp. Great on fuel on long drives, even around town I used to average around 11L/100km city (6mt 130i with the same motor) and 8L/100km highway

That`s 35 & 25 UK mpg in real money.