Reaction score
Well after a day with a MR2 forum group at Trouqe of the devil it would appear I've come up alittle shy :(
Never mind I had a feeling 182 was going to be abit illusive. Just for comparison has anyone else been dynoed recently and feel like sharing?

Reaction score
Don't confuse crank bhp with driven wheel bhp, wheel bhp will be way off 182 (which I believe is PS not BHP anyway). I'd say 177 bhp at the wheels is superb - if that's what's been measured...

Reaction score
177 at the fly is certainly not shabby. Most 182's read in the 160s at the fly as standard. It's all about the 10% rule. 177 with a remap is very good.

Reaction score
What 10% rule, stormy?

I thought 182 ps (circa 180 bhp) was the official output at the flywheel?

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
What 10% rule, stormy?

I thought 182 ps (circa 180 bhp) was the official output at the flywheel?

I think eu legislation means that actual outputs can be within 10% of quoted ones. Someone correct me if im wrong though

Reaction score
This is true, once an engine has been homologated with declared outputs car manufacturers only have to ensure that the production versions get to within 90% of that figure.

Once on a production line iirc only every 10th or so engines in smaller production runs and 100th in larger runs are removed from the line & dyno tested to ensure within 90% rule to satisfy legislation.

This goes for all car manufacturers and means especially on n/a you very rarely get a car producing bang on what's quoted, it's not only smaller capacity cars like Clio but larger cars like RS Audi's and BMW M's are notorious for exercising this rule to it's full extent, BMW M's never make anywhere near there power quoted.

Another well known is old Audi 20VT 225PS engine it was homologated with an inlet temp of 25degrees which you will never see unless driving in the arctic.

But as correctly indicated the output is in PS & converted means Clio is 179.5bhp much like the confusion on Jap cars that are imports they are all quoted in PS like my old GT4 255ps which is actually 251bhp, or our FTO 200PS or 197bhp etc etc

New Focus RS doesn't make quoted power as well, though conversely makes more torque. Many modern turbo cars because of way the electronics work withfly-by-wire linked the wheel speed sensors and traction control etc means throttle position managed by ecu so you often make more power, Fiat 500Abarth rated at 135PS generally makes about 150-155bhp with 135bhp at the wheels yet all manufacturers quote flywheel power not wheel power but as unless you have a dyno cell you can't test this r/r have to calculate it back from wheel power.

Reaction score
That was quite an interesting read thankyou for that. Deffinatly learnt something today. I thought I had replied to this already but I apparently i didn't. My 177 is calcuated back to the fly and not from the wheels, so you were correct there.

I was also going to ask if anyone knew of another figures from other clios ? So I can see how mine compares.

Reaction score
I would say that getting 177bhp is pretty goid even after a remap, many reputable BMW tuners will map E46 M3's to factory outputs or just a smidge over which may mean you get a 25to30bhp increase on what the car produced as standard, AUDI on their 4.2V8 & 5.2V10 use the 90% rule to it's maximum.

So fact that you are no within a couple of bhp of quoted is pretty good. Now if you wish you can seek more power from a known base level. My friend managed 186bhp on Circuit Motors @ Castle Combe very nice new r/r with a Clio 172 with matched inlets ITG drop in filter decat s/s exhaust system & it dies feel notably quicker than my Trophy.

Reaction score
Mine produced 179bhp on RS Tunings rolling road after a remap

other mods include:
- strainless steel straight through exhaust
- decat pipe
- itg maxogen induction kit

prior to all that it was about 169 bhp

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to loose my cat then boys. Seems to be the way to get a few more horses thanks guys

Reaction score
I put my cat back on as I found it to boomy on the motorway. Will it give you a few more BHP most likely yes are you going to notice the extra BHP? Nope!

Reaction score
I replaced my cat for a decat pipe on the existing system, was a quick and easy job. Cat is a heavy old thing, decat doesn't weigh anything, car felt quicker plus making the exhaust sound quality especially into the high rev range. It even passed the mot!

Reaction score
Ah the 'mark fish' 2.5 exit. I'd been looking at this for awhile. Seems legit, but cutting up cats seems expensive if you get it wrong. Can you imagine if it failed emissions on an MOT !! I'd be livid. And out of pocket.

Reaction score
No mate he doesn't cut up the cat. The actual insides of the cat finishes, and the metal goes into a cone shape, and narrows down to a 2" exit. With a bit of measuring, cutting and welding, you're simply making the exit further along the cone shaped metal at the end of the cat to make a 2.5" exit.

Have a look at the pic to see what i mean.

Attachments

• 24022010008.jpg
    24022010008.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 18