Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
I really want torque and not front wheel drive next time and not too big, which limits my choices a great deal - S3 does tick the boxes.

S3 has a FWD bias unless the Haldex system detects slip... so the car will naturally understeer. Also it doesn't really have much torque... well, not compared to something within the same price bracket such as a 350Z. I am guessing on the torque figures but don't think I am wrong (naturally aspirated 3.5 V6 vs. generic VW 1.8T... the 350Z is bound to have more torque).

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
I have not got evo to hand but I reckon the S3 has 260 pounds of torque whereas the latest 350z has 268. I was in an audi garage not so long ago as my dad has a tt and the S3 is very nice, excellent build quality and looks awesome in white. However, I was shocked to see that this car would cost 36k. It was fully loaded but that is a lot for a golf!!

Reaction score
I think this fits with the current discussion here...

We're currently looking for a new car for my dad.
Looking for around the 20-25k mark, must be fun to drive, 4 doors, economical and an Auto box...

Since his 3 series was written off, he's had 2 loan cars;

2.0 GTtdi Golf - fantastic, bags of torque, handled well and looked good too.

Subaru Forester 2.5 turbo XT- hated it initially then started to enjoy the sleeper nature of the beast - blowing all and sundry off the road, although frightened himself 4 wheel drifting round a roundabout with limited road space! (and also the wallet bashing that the fuel tank gave him!!!)

We've tried the new shape 3series 320d Msport but he thinks it's ugly outside and spartan inside. Although it handled as well as any BMW ever has and drove well, he didn't find it that fun. We're also due to test an a3 sportback 2.0tdi s-line.. High hopes for this. He's concluded that the VW/Audi Twin Clutch DSG auto 'box is streets ahead of the the Torque converter 'boxes that most other manufacturers use and it significanly improves responses...

In the midst of all this, he's never liked fwd - he's only ever had rwd, but I think he may have to give in to now...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?!

Reaction score
If your looking for BMW like finish you can't go wrong with an Audi at present. My dad has a TT and swears by the DSG box. I ve drove it a couple of times and it is fantastic especially when attached to the 3.2!

Off the top of my head you'd be struggling to find any other manufacturer to meet the requirements. Only two I can think of is Civic Type R but youthful styling or Seat Leon Cupra but has poor interior.

Reaction score
Audi quality is most definitely up there with it's key German Rivals, the only thing that is causing me to doubt the a3 is that reviews have made out that it's not that exciting to drive.. Fingers crossed it'll be exciting enough for my dad..! If he could forget about fuel consumption then the alternatives would be far wider!

Reaction score
The DSG boxes are very good, as is the BMW SMG.

Even the new conventional auto gearbox in the new BMWs is good, I've driven the 130i auto. It is a leap forward from recent auto boxes, considerably better than the old 5 speed steptronic box I had in a 2001 BMW.

I've just come from an SMG to the trophy and keep changing the volume instead of changing gear :wink: :lol:

Reaction score
How does the SMG work? Does it use the same twin clutch mechanism as the DSG?

Our last 3 series was a similar age to your last BMW and we couldn't believe how much smoother the modern 'boxes were!

I imagine your misplaced shifts must be pretty amusing! :lol:

Reaction score
It is not a twin plate clutch system, it is in fact the same box and clutch as the 6 speed manual. The clutch is electrohydraulically controlled by means of an actuator and software. It rev matches on the downshift/upshift if it needs to, resulting in a lovely 'blip' of 6 cyl howl. It doesnt change as quick as the DSG can, but it is still much quicker than most drivers can shift manually (and all conventional autoboxes) especially in sport mode.

Reaction score
In most likely order:

1) M Coupe
2) S3
3) 350Z Coupe

Hopefully the boss pulls thru with that pay rise he's promising! ;-)

Reaction score
I know for a fact that my next car is a 118d (company car on its way) but fortunately this is in addition to the clio rather than instead of.

Looking forward to wet roundabouts for different reasons in the BMW (RWD ;) )

Reaction score
I didn't realise that the SMG was an electrohydralically actuated clutch system.. I'm sure I must have read it somewhere in the past but most likely forgot it.

What car did you have prior to the Trophy that had an SMG texasjohn? Do BMW offer it on all their cars or only the M cars?

Reaction score
BMW 330cd or 335cd - power and economy!

or a MY06 scooby Spec C

would like to keep hold of the trophy though!

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
I didn't realise that the SMG was an electrohydralically actuated clutch system.. I'm sure I must have read it somewhere in the past but most likely forgot it.

What car did you have prior to the Trophy that had an SMG texasjohn? Do BMW offer it on all their cars or only the M cars?

I had a Z4 3.0i, they offered it on the 3.0i in the 3 series also, IIRC. It is the most basic system and the version on the M3 is much more advanced, and in turn the new M3/M5 SMG box is better again.

To the poster above, I've always fancied a Subaru myself, but I hear the fuel consumption is a killer.

Reaction score
Like the look of the last impreza plus there second hand value is good. Depreciate a lot first then hold on for the longhaul. Defininately a car I have been considering recently along with Meg r26 and 350z.

Look at a Meg at Evans Halshaw today but had sold. Sales guy offerred me a black r26 with black alloys for 16995. I m pretty tempted but may wait till March when they hopefully run into fourteen thousand mark.

Reaction score
M3 will be going twin clutch in the foreseeable future and replacing the SMT. Have been in the Evo X with twin clutch, which is sensational. It has three modes, normal, sport and super-sport. In the latter the changes are amazingy fast, and it is programmed to keep the revs above 4,500, so will always have the car on max torque for exiting a bend.