Reaction score
Decided I am not going to bother with cams and simply stick to the following:

ITG panel filter
Manifold match
Exhaust
Remap

Decided cams maybe on step to far. I may change my mind but cost and everyday driving has put me off. Also cash saved on cams could equal motorbike next year plus trophy. Eating all my cake!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
What's the point, if you wanted that much grunt through the front wheels you may as well buy the Mazda MPS, a tried and tested 256bhp and the same weight as the Clio 197! I'm glad Renault stuck with N/A, just not glad they made it so big and heavy. Making way for the Twingo, it's so obvious now - just like the Golf made way for the Polo and that had to move up for the Lupo!

Edit (some time later) - Sometimes I read the last post and think 'what a ****' before realising it was me. A Mazda MPS, please. 150kgs heavier than a 197. It is a faster track car than the Trophy though despite being a bit dull dynamically. 1:31.3 around Bedford West, 2 seconds quicker! So it should though with twice the torque (280 ft lbf)

I don't trust those figure for the Trophy at all, I can't see how a cup is quicker than a Trophy when they're the same fecking car but the trophy has better suspesion and lighter wheels..... Plus having done a few track days with 172's 182's plus their cup siblings and a fair few V's including most meggy varieties I don't think their is a quicker car in the Renosport catalogue.

Reaction score
Erm...my money would be on the R26 in a straight track fight. Driven by race drivers of course, that LSD is worth a couple of seconds a lap at least.

G

I would be very surprised if an R26 was slower round a track than a Trophy. Combine the brakes and more power and torque with the LSD, and you've got a pretty quick car!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was leaving the R26's at brands - some of which were driven by the racing drivers on the day, they use them as training cars down there.

They put out more power and they have a LSD, but their weight counters that against the Trophy. There was a mark fish motorsport car and even that didn't seem any quicker - I actually had to back off as I was quick enough to pass it but was to quick to just go at the pace I wanted without nudging it. Granted they were treading carefully as it was damp but my Exalto's were on the tread bars and I was understeering for England.

It's stopping power is tremendous though, you could brake a good 20 yards further down the straight.

Reaction score
If it could brake later, carry more speed through the corners and accelerate quicker out of them, where were you gaining it back Cue?!!

Believe me I'm on your side, I would love the Trophy to be quicker than what EVO think could be the fastest hot hatch EVER made, ie. quicker than the stupidly quick 256bhp 4WD Audi S3 that ran a 1:31 at Bedford. But...I find it hard to believe that you were pasting the Race drivers in R26's when you were on balding tyres. Now, you may very well be a Driving God but I can only think they weren't trying too hard.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
If it could brake later, carry more speed through the corners and accelerate quicker out of them, where were you gaining it back Cue?!!

Believe me I'm on your side, I would love the Trophy to be quicker than what EVO think could be the fastest hot hatch EVER made, ie. quicker than the stupidly quick 256bhp 4WD Audi S3 that ran a 1:31 at Bedford. But...I find it hard to believe that you were pasting the Race drivers in R26's when you were on balding tyres. Now, you may very well be a Driving God but I can only think they weren't trying too hard.

it didn't seem to carry more speed through the corners though - you could brake later yes, but the cornering speed was slower and in slow corners you had to wait for the turbo to spool up - in the Trophy you could get on the power as soon as you hit the apex.

And believe me when those guys are on their hot laps to show off, they are trying.

These Renaultsport track days are really good as you can 'test' all the other RS cars. At brands we had the Meggy R26 and the new DCi and the Clio R27 that's going to be driven by all the press - only had a couple of hundered miles on the clock so we were the first in the world to drive it outside of Reno (from the lips of Jeremy T himself).

The gearing felt very strange for the clio and meggy as they are 6 speed boxes, not knowing the cars would obviously also have an effect on your speed around the curcuit but i'd say the Trophy would be of similar pace.

It's the weight in the meggy and r27 that hinders it around track.

Reaction score
Sounds good of course but in my opinion the Trophy doesn't need any more straight line pace... I have made a few simple mods and the little bugger goes, handles and sounds like a dream. Wouldn't change a thing apart from the brakes now - they aren't all that as standard.

Just my two penneth.

Reaction score
Happy as larry with mine now Ben at AngelWorks did a great job today on 176.

Decided to stay away from cams and upgrade brakes at next service.