Reaction score
1)

I have calculated that, when taking the car for an MOT, the probability the brakes fail is 1/10, the headlights fail is 1/4 and the wipers fail is 1/5. But what's the probability only one of the parts fails?

2)

Point P lies on the curve y = x2 - 6x - 16 where m = 0. What are the co-ordinates of p?

Reaction score
1) (1/4 x 9/10 x 4/5) + (3/4 x 1/10 x 4/5) + (3/4 x 9/10 x 1/5) = 0.375 (or 75/200)

2) Any +/- x^2 curve is symmetrical and where m = 0 is the mid point of the curve. Therefore:

Factorise to give (x+2)(x-8) where x = -2 and +8. The difference between the two x points is 10 therefore halfway is 5.

-2 + 5 = 3 or 8 - 5 = 3 therefore x = 3 where m = 0

y = x2 - 6x - 16 therefore 9 - 18 - 16 = -25

Co-ordinates of p are (3,-25).

No need for a digram.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its easter holidays and college is closed. I dont have to study maths for another week, give me a break !

Why are you asking the question if you know the answer? was it just a test or are you trying to look clever ?

:)

Reaction score
Just a test. I sit here bored and just thought I throw them into the mix. I used to do the same over on Renaultsport until was banned for suggesting a link between children and Catholic priests.

Reaction score
Ajr said:
I did A level maths, and i can't remember a single bit of it? Shocking!

I was thinking something very similar, I did engineering in uni so plenty of maths there, and now can't even do GCSE level maths. That means the older I get the dumber I get.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I did A level maths, and i can't remember a single bit of it? Shocking!

Im studying for HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, There is loads of maths as you can imagen. I find the HNC maths pretty easy tbh, I just learn what I need to know for the exams and pretty much forget everything after that as I dont use it in the real world.

Its all a load of b***ocks !

Ajr

Reaction score
Did level 3 C&G Electrical and electronic engineering & servicing, forgotten most of that too, despite getting pretty much straight distinctions. Same with languages, straight As & A*s, forgotten most.

I think unless you use the knowledge daily it's likely you'll forget it pretty soon. It's the understanding of how it all works that you never forget, the methodology. So it would be very easy to bring the memories back with some quick revision.

Reaction score
I think the wipers and brakes are more like 100% on a Trophy and the dampers will pass even though they are like a soggy Expression 1.2. Factor that little lot in and what comes out.. :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have my C&G NVQ level 3 in electrical engineering too. Whats your job ? (if you dont mind me asking)

Reaction score
hoolio said:
I think I'll just go and sit in the corner with my dunces hat on.

Can I join you. I may have the degree certificate but I feel a bit of a fraud, all I can remember from uni is how good picadilly 21's in manchester was on a wednesday night.

Reaction score
If anyone feels like providing a random question of any subject matter on a daily basis, I think it would be quite interesting....

Reaction score
It's weird thinking I used to be able to that all that in minutes, but now it just makes me go #-o

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
If anyone feels like providing a random question of any subject matter on a daily basis, I think it would be quite interesting....

quik51lver, I completely agree with you, but I have a feeling Rex needs no encouragement at all.....

less maths though, please. I am rubbish at it, apparently like a few others here...

Reaction score
As per some previous comments, my degree was fairly maths/science based and I battled through maths A-Level so I would like to have a chance to remind myself of my long lost mathematical skills... Plus languages etc.

As I suggested originally - a random daily subject, not always maths! :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
quik5i1ver said:
As per some previous comments, my degree was fairly maths/science based and I battled through maths A-Level so I would like to have a chance to remind myself of my long lost mathematical skills... Plus languages etc.

As I suggested originally - a random daily subject, not always maths! :D

Er yeah, we're all waiting....................

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
An open cylinder has to contain 2500cc of liquid when full. Calculate the radius and height in cm so that the least surface area of metal is used.

Reaction score
Rexina182 said:
1)

I have calculated that, when taking the car for an MOT, the probability the brakes fail is 1/10, the headlights fail is 1/4 and the wipers fail is 1/5. But what's the probability only one of the parts fails?

The probability of getting this answer right is slim since you have to factor in an element of randomness that's inherent in all French made cars! Plus it's a trick question since its never just one part that fails!!!