Looking for rear Sachs Dampers!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So the only thing that's unique about them is the price tag, the lack of bushes and plastic covers. Nice one.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's not like the new ones are even unique in colour anymore!

It crossed my more suspicious side that the new black version could just be stickered run of the mill units.

#feelinglikeamug

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sachs also supply the standard 182 Cup shocks so perhaps you are right!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-04-07-52-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-04-07-52-08.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Trophy No.
And within the people on here (me included) we have Sachs decals to make the 182 Cup shocks look like the Trophy version at considerably less than the £140 difference!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Missing the point a little, I would prefer to have a better performing damper over a cheaper one, we all may as well have Clio Cups and save ourselves a load of hassle.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Missing the point a little, I would prefer to have a better performing damper over a cheaper one, we all may as well have Clio Cups and save ourselves a load of hassle.
For sure with the fronts but I'm wondering if it'd be worth it if the rears are so similar.

Unless our esteemed Rik Perry is putting everyone off the Trophy rears so he can stockpile them and make a killing in years to come...:wink:

Reaction score

Well thats the question isnt it? Are they better performing or better built? are the new ones truly tunned to the exact spec that matches the front shocks and spring balance along with all the other bits like tyre pressure as rick mentioned.

Pretty sure sachs build bargain basement shocks as well as high end stuff so unless somone takes them to bits and compares all the parts then we dont know on build quality. Lets be fair the original grey units rusted way worse than any I have seen coming off a 182.

Reaction score
On the plus side just be thankful they are not twingo cup rear dampers. Which are nearly £500 a pair.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
20120922_sachsbrakes01.jpg
20120922_sachsbrakes02.jpg

I put new Sachs rears on back in 2012... and they are still in pretty good condition 5 years later.

<sarcasm>
It's almost as if they've hardly been used.
</sarcasm>

:p

Reaction score
The Trophy is based on the Renaultsport 182 Cup with several technical changes. The suspension is based on the Clio Cup set-up. As a reminder, over the normal Renaultsport 182, this has lower ride height, stiffer springs (20% front, 15% rear), re-rated dampers (+20% front, +10% rear), strengthened front wheel hub carriers and revised steering geometry.

Reading the above section, which I presume was from the Trophy press release, it 'could' be inferred that +10% rear is an increase over the 182 Cup vs. Trophy, but I doubt it. Particularly as the second para' relates only to the front Trophy suspension, as it's "lowered a further 10mm at the front with shorter springs".

"The dampers are supplied by Sachs Race Engineering and have a unique damping force/velocity curve. Normally only used in competition cars, these dampers cost 10 times more than a conventional road car damper and feature a remote reservoir to accommodate nearly 50% of the oil and gas."

So, of the above the hilarious part is that the rears are 'supplied by Sachs Race Engineering' and could have a 'unique damping force/velocity' and clearly 'cost 10 times more than a conventional road car damper', but based on Rik's testing are simply 10x the cost just so you mugs think the rear suspension is as unique as the front.

Thinking about it, the rear suspension does relatively naff all on a front wheel drive car vs. the impact of the front. We all know the thicker damper shaft in the front Sachs and remote reservoir for oil and gas makes all the difference to the Trophy. That element alone is so transformative that Renault probably had to do / did nowt to the rears.

Classic Trophy tax charged due to it being a halo model.

Rik, we'd all LOVE to now what the actual difference really is. I know you say one would 'hardly' notice it, but he detail would be enlightening.

Love the comment about tyre pressures. A massively overlooked part of driving by many and so vital; that said it's still slim, as long as we're talking 1-2 psi rather than some dufus driving around with 20 psi under or over.

Come on Rik, spill the beans...

Reaction score
My apologies dablk, it's actually x2.5 based on £80, x2.5 being £200. Renault are still taking the *iss if Rik's calculations on the rebound tests indicate there is *hit all difference between the units.

My initial comment re 10x was pure angry extrapolation.

Reaction score
My apologies dablk, it's actually x2.5 based on £80, x2.5 being £200. Renault are still taking the *iss if Rik's calculations on the rebound tests indicate there is *hit all difference between the units.

My initial comment re 10x was pure angry extrapolation.
There is nothing in the factory article that says the damper rates are any different to a 182cup
It just says unique damping force/velocity curve and lowered a further 10mm at the front with shorter springs.
As you already know the spring rates at the front and rear are the same as a 182cup.
The only difference in the rear dampers should be one is made buy kyb (182cup)the other sachs.

Reaction score
But it says As a reminder, over the normal Renaultsport 182

Yes, it reads as a reminder over the normal 182, but in the context that it's describing the Trophy, it 'could' be inferred as a further increase over the Cup. Although highly unlikely. 'Could' being the operative word.

I'm trying to stretch the truth for the sake of Renault here. Sadly I doubt there is little difference in the rear dampers bar the manufacturer. Just £200 a pair vs. ~£80.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There is nothing in the factory article that says the damper rates are any different to a 182cup
It just says unique damping force/velocity curve and lowered a further 10mm at the front with shorter springs.
As you already know the spring rates at the front and rear are the same as a 182cup.
The only difference in the rear dampers should be one is made buy kyb (182cup)the other sachs.

Not much of a price difference either!

Attachments

• Rear shocks.JPG
    Rear shocks.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 18