knock sensor

Reaction score
I have a knock sensor error listed as "bank 1 or single sensor".
Does anyone know,
1 - How many are there
2 - Where is it / they
3 - How much it should cost
4 - What does it do, is the error with the sensor or is the sensor detecting a problem in the engine.

The car feels extra spritely at the moment (must be the cold air), so hopefully no problem.

many thanks for any help

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
There is only 1 ‘knock’ sensor. I’m almost certain it’s the sensor fitted into the engine block that’s located just above the oil filter. It has a plug connected to it with a red and white wire. Check the plug is secure first of all and that the connections are clean, check the wiring as best you can. Failing that I would suggest changing the sensor. 8200680689 appears to be the part number you’re after, I can’t 100% confirm that though.

https://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/popular-products-2/knock-pinking-sensor/

Reaction score
Thanks for that, i will check the wiring first, as this is the second time the error code has appeared, so it is pretty intermittent.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the sensor has failed then the engine will still run ok, however, if there’s any knocking it can’t be rectified. The sensor is there to detect the knocking, the feedback I believe is linked to the ECU which alters the ignition timing in response.

Reaction score
so is the sensor telling me there is a knock or is it telling me that it is broken

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m not entirely sure.

I don’t think a fault will be triggered if knocking (or excess knocking) is detected. The sensor is there to monitor it and the feedback is used by the ECU to rectify it. I think the fault occurs when there is no feedback from the sensor which would indicate a failed sensor or open circuit in the wiring.

Reaction score
That's good info. I've checked the wiring and cleared the fault. If the light comes back on I will swap out the sensor.
£30 at euro car parts at the moment so I may do it anyway.

Thanks for the help, awesome as always.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk