Reaction score
Did Donny on Tuesday
Was really damp in the morning and my god is this car good in the wet!
GT2, C2, Exige, M3 all moved to the side too let me though!!!!
I've allways thought the trophy handled a bit like an Integrale and this just showed it has just as much grip in the wet, though steering is nowhere near as good.
Only trouble was it dried up and was nice and sunny and sudenly I wasn't quite so fast :(
The car really impressed on the track but I was left with a slight nagging in the back of my head that I should have brought the CSL along. Donny is much more suited to it I feel (esp in the dry). Think the Trophy needs more of a tec track like snet too shine and if its raining even better! :twisted:

Reaction score
Tyres are fine-a wee bit of scrub
Brakes did fade though which did worry me a bit :|
Nik did you get any fade at Donny when you did it?

Reaction score
Looking forward to some track day action next year - would love to do Donnington.

Was it the full course and what sort of lap times did you manage ?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm running uprated brakes so i didn't get too much fade, but the pads were running very low so they did start to fade a bit towards the end of the day when braking at the end of the back straight.

The Trophy really is great in the wet. I did an evening at Brands in really heavy rain, and i was amazed how much grip there was. Could lap brands not all that much slower than the dry to be honest.

Donington was great fun in the Trophy, although I'm sure given the option of taking a CSL instead I'd probably take that :D. Will definitelybe going back there next year, its one of the tracks i've always wanted to drive and it didn't dissapoint.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
LOL, did you beat schumachers F1 car in the wet too? :roll:

And what makes you say that?

(zzz)

hyb

Reaction score
You can only beat schumacher in a clio williams nik, Evvvvvvveryone knows that. There the best!!!1111111111111..

Reaction score
was the short course and wasn't timing! No point as traffic was terrible, about 30 cars per session

Reaction score
I dont doubt a Lotus exige moved over to let you through. I do however question any intimation that a Trophy is quicker than a Lotus exige on a race track. Come on lets get real.

These cars produce actual downforce that in the wet will be a MASSIVE advantage.

And as for the GT2, well that would probably be 11 seconds ahead by the end of the first straight. What is it 0-100 in 10 odd secods? :roll:

Reaction score
But in the wet people with powerful rear-wheel drive cars are taking it easy, testing what they can do, whereas in say a Clio you don't have to back off a lot, just take account of the need for longer to brake and more understeer turning.
So on a wet trackday where few people are superstar drivers, a relatively low-powered fwd car will look much faster than many 911s etc. Until the track dries out...
Haven't you ever overtaken anything on a wet trackday, Stromba ?

Reaction score
KS if you had s 30-40 K rear wheel drive car would you push it in the wet and risk crashing it.

In a Trophy you can as it just understeers.

But in reality it makes it a faster car against similer drivers in the same circumstances.

I'm a shit driver but I would love to give you a run for your money on a track in you Williams. To hazard a guess you would be in my dust with bits falling off the old relic.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
ChrisB said:
Haven't you ever overtaken anything on a wet trackday, Stromba ?

That would involve exposing the car to the elements :shock:

I doubt Strombas Williams even comes out of the garage if there's moisture in the air, let alone get taken near a track.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
I do however question any intimation that a Trophy is quicker than a Lotus exige on a race track. Come on lets get real.

Who intimated that? He just said those particular vehicles moved out of his way at one point or another.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys 8)
Stombie- why don't you read my post again-When the track dried up I was left for dead in alot of cases
This was the first time I'd been on track in a FWD car and in the wet it was amazing but I ended up longing for my more powerfull RWD car by the end of the day.

Reaction score
Pity - that you can't take both really isn't it for the price of you the driver somehow for the day? Let me know if there is one out there. Agree entirely - horses for courses. There wouldn't be such a variety if they all had the same strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction score
Tom, thanks for the invitation. Id be glad to take your challenge, but if you dont mind ill use my 18 year old MR2. Completely standard, with just 120 bhp.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your observations. The trophy and other 2ltr clios look faster than they are because people have no skill and cant handle a rwd car. Owning both i can say that the rwd MR2 is ALOT harder to drive quickly. I dont know many drivers that could go from a 'toy r us' handling fwd clio to a rwd car and not bin it.

Reaction score
You want to try 343bhp rwd after the Trophy - that keeps you honest.