Reaction score
Seeing as my insurance is up for renewal in Feb, i thought i'd best have a quick look around to see what is what. I am currently with privilege, 5 pts (an indiscretion remaining from when i was 19 in my old Clio 1.4RT en route to a festival), 24 now, employed, 6yrs NCB and i think (monthly) i am paying £55, with my yearly premium coming out to about £650-ish.

So imagine my surprise today when looking for quotes that on Privileges website i punch in my details, one year older, car is worth less obviously and one more year NCB, and a quote of £880 comes up, with no legal cover, protected NCB and a £500 excess!! WTF!!

Even more amazingly i look to see how much a FF182 is in comparison to the Trophy and that came out at £728. So evidently red paint and 'TROPHY' logos on your sills will cost you another £150/year...?

Anyone know anywhere that seems cheap for insurance at the moment? I just dont want to wait for some shocking news thru the post from Priv in the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Adrian flux has been best for me for years, plus they are not scared of mods!

Reaction score
A FF182 would cost less to replace than replacing a trophy, hence the £150 price hike id imagine.

Reaction score
Just been looking at a few places and found my renewal documents from last Feb.

Paid £660 for this last year, now i am struggling to find quotes for under £950, most are well over £1k.

Same address, car, no claims, no more points, 1 more year NCB... WTF is going on! It cannot possibly go up by 50%!!

Reaction score
Winter may have something to do with it?

Give belldirect a shot?

Jay

Reaction score
Both my Trophy and our 225 are insured with Admiral. Came out around £800 for both In Dec'09 with £350 excess. I'm 35 and my wife is 29, got full N/C on the Meggy and 3 yr N/C on the Trophy.

Reaction score
Lots of clios were crashed int the snow, plus your paying for all the other idiots that have crashed their cars and have nothing to do with you. Fair aint it.

Reaction score
yup i did wonder if this had anything to do with it. every other dweeb crashes and you gotta pay for it.. nice

Reaction score
Plus dont forget the tossers that nick cars too!!!

So thats a £10k claim from me too add to premiums!!

Reaction score
Call me cynical, but as of this month, January 2010 all cars are now classified in 50 insurance groups from the old 20. This has not been widely publicised and some cars seems to have gone up more groups than others. I'm sure that some insurance less scrupulous companies will be able to ask more for some cars and justify it without you having done anything to merit a steep rise in previous year.

For example a few cross references;

Clio Trophy, old group 17, new group 33
Clio 182 old 16 new 31

Fiat 500 Abarth old 13, new 26
500 Abarth Esseesse old 14, new 28

Twingo 133 old 8, new 19
Twingo GT old 5 new 15

Fiat 500 1.4 old 6 new 12

So you can see that the Fiat 500 1.4 on old system was 1 group higher than Twingo GT, now its 3 groups lower!

Link to government body that shows all the new groups for your cars so you can have a play about with it http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/ ... p?page=343

Reaction score
interesting read that .. just searched for this thread as i have just got off the phone to adrian flux who i had my previous car with and was shocked at what they qouted for me on a Trophy, not as shocked as what direct line wanted though.. it hasn't put me off totally but it has dented the budget somewhat ..

Reaction score
My renewal was in September, it went up a little bit with Direct Line. So i went online and got a quote from Direct Line which came out something like £150 cheaper, rang them up, explained i had a cheaper quote online and they said they had to give me it at the online price, so mine actually went down, :D .
Not looking forward to seeing what happens this year...
Just done a online quote with Direct Line and its coming out £11 per month more than im paying now, :x .

Reaction score
I renewed with Greenlight back in Oct 09 and my premium was exactly the same as the previous yr.. When questioned over whether they could better their quote, they simply said, "we give our customers the most competitive quote straight away, therefore this is our best price". To be fair I was unable to find a better price, but nevertheless I was a little put out by their unwillingness to even hear of any lower quote..

Reaction score
My 'actual' renewal came through a week or so ago from Privilege and it has only just crept up to £700 ish so only works out a few quid a month more, quite relieved in all honesty