keo

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am currently looking for a clio trophy. I previosly had a red :) 106 GTI and loved it, the handling and feel of the car was realy good. However i have been savng for a long time and thought i would treat myself to a type r or trophy, the type r wonthere was just something about it i liked. I have only had it a few weeks and i want a trophy, i think i made the wrong decision :( Its a great car, very fast but i just think whats the point how often do you drive at 8000rpm and the steering is so dull and has no feel, it seams very tail happy and unbalnced to me as well, especialy comming from the GTI which was a go kart. I have no confidence in the car
Has anyone gone from a GTI to a trophy? I just want to find out how they handle and have they got a good feel? From what i have read on the internet and evo magazine the trophy is realy good and sounds like a modern day equivelent to a 106 GTI but faster and rarer :)
I just dont want to make a mistake again and buy the wrong car. Thanks and sorry if i am rambling

Reaction score
Out of interest what type r have you bought?

I've come from hondas so can't really help compare it to a 106, surprised i've never owned a 106 though considering how many times i've looked at them!!

keo

Reaction score
premier edition mate, few pics here

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/838202.htm

The 106 was brilliant, if it wasnt sorry old and done the miles id be happy keeping it, i jsut want something newer and a bit more reliable but just as fun, so a trophy seams the only option :)

Reaction score
Hi Keo, I went from a S1 106 Rallye that I owned from new to the Trophy. I felt the Rallye was such a honed thing it would be hard to beat (I do few long journeys so comfort and motorway speed isn't too much of an issue, hence keeping the Rallye so long). Getting the T was like putting on an old pair of your favourite shoes but they now have new soles. Everything is the same, but that little bit fresher and slightly different. The driving position isn't great, but we all know that is a gripe of the 182 and 172 Clio. The Recaro's make it better, but getting back in the Rallye you realise how good a seating position it has vs poor the T is; although it's not awful.

You'll be amazed by the grip from the T and how hard you can push it. It has very similar charastics to a hot 106. Lifts its tail and is twitchy under hard breaking from speed, but feels like you are in a kart of sorts. Like most French fwd cars there is a touch of lift off oversteer too. The thing you have to get used to is the speed you can carry and just how hard you have to push it before it unsettles or understeers. I cut 30mins off an average three hour 150mile journey that is mostly A and B roads in the T. I reckon I could do it in under two hours with dry roads in the middle of the night.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

keo

Reaction score
Gordon thanks for the reply that was exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear :) Just got sell the honda and i will be trophy searching :)

Dont want to feel this dissapointment again

Reaction score
Glad I was of some help. Good luck with the sale, you won't regret it.

Reaction score
I've driven a few EP3's and can understand why people like them however you hit the nail on the head.

They feel heavy, the steering is very poor (I can't understand why Tiff Needell says it’s the best he has ever come across in a hot hatch). Plus to me it’s slow also compared to the Trophy. You don't have the confidence you get in a Trophy taking corners either.

I do like the looks of EP3's but in conclusion, personally I would say it's more a stylist’s car than an enthusiast.

Glad you made the right choice 8)

Reaction score
hi m8, i had a 106 gti before the trophy, love both cars. 106 was great to drive made me feel confident through corners even at speeds you wouldnt think you could do. although i found mine a little tail happy but mine had been lowerd 30mm at the back by the previous owner. plus it was one of the last hot hatches they made which weighed under a ton. But trophy would take it everytime in my opinion.