Reaction score
Apart from ride comforts etc hows does the willy compare? Used to have one myself but not had a chance to have a go in a trophy yet. My mate has just bought one but will not let me have a play :( (very close to his heart at the moment)

David

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who has a Williams 2, ride wise the williams is a little more softer, but driving wise the Willaims is a much rawer car to drive.

They are 2 totally different cars to drive, The Trophy is a lot easier to drive especially on the limit, but the Williams is a great alrounder. I would own both if i had the cash. :D

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
On the track it's turned off straight away. On the road some people turn it off, but to be honest you have to be pushing fairly hard for it to kick in at all.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No, not on the road, if it kicks in I tend to take it as a warning that I should perhaps take it a little bit easier. Generally it only kicks in if you floor it out of a junction, particularly if its wet. I think its actually quite a good system it does seem to be fairly subtle in what it does.

On the track its a pain in the arse :p Which is why it gets switched off straight away!

Reaction score
Im suprised they put esp on the car tbh. Id have thought they would have been better to market the car as 'not needing driver aids' - its that good. Ironically i beleive i have a quote from Jean Ragnotti somewhere where he states something along the lines of 'if the set up and chassis of a car is good enough, the car wont need traction control as the traction comes from the dynamics of the chasis working with the tyres'. So basically traction control is put on cars with poor chassis dynamics to 'mask' faults that they couldnt solve with set up.

Please any technical bods feel free to disagree with me. Not slating the Trophy so dont get defensive. But one of the reasons i havnt bought a Trophy (i considered one as a daily driver) is that i wouldnt feel like i was in a rally car because i have a computer telling me when to do things.

Mind you i would earn reno a fortune if i worked in their marketing department.

I think a standard LSD should have been put on the car and traction control removed. They should hae also painted the car blue and called it the '182 F1'. Id pay 19k cash now, for that car.

Just think they year Renault win the World drivers championship in F1 and they miss out on a marketing oportunity like that. The marketing dept needs a good kicking if you ask me.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Exactly, as long as it's switchable there's no problem. At least you have it if you want to use it.

Reaction score
I have to agree with Nik and some of the others, there are times when ESP is very useful, on the track i am sure it is a pain, but i gather that when it is switched off it is off fully.

I am happier knowing that in the wet i have the ESP and Stabilty control to get me out of a problem is i over cook it into a corner.