Gatso flashing a car in opposite lane?

Reaction score
I know it's a strange question... but can a Gatso flash you if you are heading towards it (i.e. in the opposite lane)?

I saw the Gatso flash (as I was directly facing it and looking into the flash) but there were no lines on my side of the road. Ordinarily I would think the person in the opposite lane just got flashed but the thing is I don't recall seeing anyone in the opposite lane...

I am 99% sure you can't be fined by a Gatso if you're heading towards it and without any line markings on the road but perhaps I am wrong?

G

If it flashed while you were going towards it it hasnt got a camera in it, all it has is a radar and a flash, if you time it right with some tosser coming the other way you can scare the crap out of them.

Reaction score
It happened to me years ago, nothing ever came through the post, so I don't believe you can be caught speeding this way :D

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there were no lines on your side of the road and therefore they can't time you :?:

Reaction score
No Hyb, what Stromba said. Gatso cameras will ignore you if you are approaching.

Reaction score
Ditto everyone above.

Same happened to me the other week so being a bit worried myself but believing they can't actually get you going towards you I posted on renaultsport and everyone seemed to agree they can't get you towards them - ie. they can only 'take you from behind'.

think it's actually illegal for them to go off because the flash is distracting.
Bloody yellow boxes.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
wrong, they'res a couple of types of Gatso's. the older ones can only get you when you're going away from the camera, but the newer version can get you coming towards also.

Reaction score
but the newer ones dont flash, because it is against the law to flash the oncoming drivers if they are speeding

Reaction score
Some "safety" camera partnerships were actually setting Gatsos with no film in to flash oncoming drivers just to put the shits up them.

W@nkers.

I believe the illegality of this practice has stopped this now, but I'm not sure.