nbc

Reaction score
Reaction score
Speaker are a very personal choice,both look ok.

As for fitting the door speaker are a 10 min job but the tweeters are more of a challenge you should remove the top section of the dash to access these. but careful work with a screw driver can release the covers on the dash top.

Try and go for rears as well or the fronts will over power them.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I very recently installed 4 350W speakers to replace to ones in the doors and back, unfortunetly because of the power they have to be run from a 2000W 4 channel amplifier but this fits very nicely under the passenger seat so you wouldn't know it was there.

The speakers themselves are a straight swap as long as they are 130mm/5", although the existing wiring has a plug which you would have to remove and re crimp the cores with the correct lugs to fit over the +/- terminals on the speakers. Keep that in mind should you want to reverse the process at a later date. I installed new cable for mine because the existing cable is a bit too small for the speaker output and I had to run the cable from the amp and not the head unit.

Don't forget the standard head units output is probably only around 20W(?) per speaker so you're not going to be running them to their full potential anyways.

The mounting depth of the front speakers can be a max of 65mm, the backs have loads of space. I had to fit small rubber washers to mine as they're 68mm, the magnets are huge!

Last edited:

nbc

Reaction score
Thanks Carbon and Ben, much appreciated.

I think i'll leave it for the time being as it's clearly not the simple job I was expecting and with the limitng HU the end result might not be what i'm really after. I don't want to start butchering the car to bits either.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Pioneer sell some direct-fit speakers where you can use the existing plugs. They are around £70 a pair.

nbc

Reaction score
Pioneer sell some direct-fit speakers where you can use the existing plugs. They are around £70 a pair.

I looked into these but was told because they are component speakers the same problem with accessing the tweeters arises? Is it really that hard to pop off the tweeter grille, just seems madness removing the top of the dash.
Can the Pioneers just be wired up using existing tweeters?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I looked into these but was told because they are component speakers the same problem with accessing the tweeters arises? Is it really that hard to pop off the tweeter grille, just seems madness removing the top of the dash.
Can the Pioneers just be wired up using existing tweeters?

I have these direct fitment pioneers front and rear, theyre alright for what they are, the standard headunit is perfectly capable of running as theyre quite low power! I thought the same with the tweeters in the front and just left the standard renault ones in the front and only changed the door speakers, tweeters seemed like a big PITA for not alot of gain as the standard tweeters dont seem too bad! Did the same in my mk1 clio as well and it also worked fine. So yes you can just fit them and leave the standard tweeter in!

Reaction score
Hi All,

would anyone have a link to the set of pioneer speakers for front and back speakers. Just want to upgrade the sound slightly as I have to say they are rather crap. Not interested in any tweeters. Just want to simply plug in.

Thanks
Alan

Reaction score
not completely sure what the oem one is like, but normally it is worth upgrading the headunit as oem ones are usually low powered and gains are very small if you add higher powered speakers

Reaction score
It's often said that upgrading the speakers but not the HU will offer little improvement, if any. The stock speakers are actually supposed to be alright.

Step 1 - upgrade the HU
Step 2 - fit an underseat sub and cut the low frequencies to the speakers
Step 3 - enjoy

That's one route you could go down...