Few questions from a new owner #425

Reaction score
Hi all I've just taken custody of 425 and have a couple of questions;

It's on cooksport lowering springs but I want to return it to oem spec (personal choice) does anyone have the part numbers of the original springs to make sure i get the right cup ones. And also where would be the cheapest place to pick them up?

What if anything are the cooksports worth to anyone?

What are the early signs that the Sachs need refurb, they seem broadly ok from my first few drives, car grips well and visually aren't leaking but I don't have any basis of comparison. They have bg motorsport stickers on so have been reworked at some point but the cars done 110k so even my rubbish maths makes me think they will need a rework.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
OEM Eibachs are quite expensive .. That's why most people go for Sportlines or Cooksport or Mark Fish springs..
A lot of owners take the OEM off and store them away to re fit if they ever sell and OEM is what the buyer wants..
You might get someone on here do a swap OEM for the Cooksports perhaps.. But if not you might get £100-110 for them if in good order.
Biggest problem with the dampers seems to be de gassing.. If you push down on the front corner there should be very little movement under body weight... If it feels soft it's likely de gassed and will need work.
If they are firm and not leaking oil best to leave them alone as they can go pretty long without rebuild..
Best bet might be to call BG with your reg number and ask when they were in for service from the records they keep..

Reaction score
Will give them a call thanks. If anyone's using oem springs as wine bottle holders in the garage and wants to swap let me know.

Reaction score
Try Renault Parts Direct for the springs, they'll give you a competitive price although that doesn't mean it'll be reasonable ;)

It'll help if you can quote part numbers to them. MarcR will be able to assist with that unless someone else can first.

Reaction score
The rear springs from memory aren't to expensive. Black springs white and red strip markings. Fronts are yellow springs are pretty pricey

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No probs.... Hope you get a good deal... If not the Cooksports are a good Spring..
If you want to sell them give me a PM

Reaction score
Will do, I normally like to go as oem as possible. The only thing is I think it would look ace with red seat belts!! If anyone's done that let me know where and how much.

So Oem'ish might better describe the look in after.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Fiona's car looks great on red seat belts.... Not sure on cost but she might be able to help..
I'm with kingpin on the ride height on OEM .. Very 4x4 once you see one on Sportlines or Cooksports

Reaction score
Ok ok I'm spotting a theme on the springs, I'll hold off before making any rash decisions.

My daily is a 4x4 so maybe I need to recalibrate my brain back to fun cars.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just give them a try... Word is Cooksports are the stiffest of the lower ones... You are welcome to try my OEM ones if it helps to decide what's for you ...
I fitted Sportlines and I think they handle great... Not too harsh and look good a little lower...