Reaction score
IMG_0585.jpg

So just this evening, officially the Trophy changed hands from Sir_Dave to myself. Drives awesome for a Clio with 186,601 miles, better than quite a few clios i've driven actually!

Plans -

Needs an interior so a 172 Cup interior's being sorted.
Fit lower arms and track rod arms/ends off the my old 182.
New tyres for the 2118's.
Standard airbox.

Then pretty much drive it around as my everyday car until it hits 200k. Oh and do a 'shed' load of trackdays in it during that time. Might clean it, maybe.
smiley16.gif

Nick

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can't believe you've let it go Dave.

Have you filled it's place with a succession of BMWs?

Reaction score
Can't believe you've let it go Dave.

Have you filled it's place with a succession of BMWs?

I know, didnt really want to, but i simply wasnt driving it, & Nick needed a runaround ...

Got a 5dr R32 DSG now, does everything pretty well tbh :eek:

Reaction score
Trackdays?

Did 7 between August 2010 and August 2011.

Since then ive done 1 at Llandow in June this year ... so will just use the Golf if the opportunity arises!!

Will be decent enough with a Haldex controller and some ARB's ;)

Reaction score
Cheers all!

Indeed it still has the H&R setup on it still, only because we didnt get it all changed over to the standard sachs last weekend. Rides nice, firm but well damped. Hopeing that the sachs are softer on the road!

Reaction score
Sounds good. The Sachs can be softened off a bit I suppose but it's generally quite a hard ride at low speeds. Will be interesting to hear what you think when it's changed back.

Reaction score
Little update -

Got the sachs on with standard front springs, though I have added a few aftermarket touches to the suspension. Koni rear dampers with a whiteline rear anti-roll bar and a set of camber bolts on the front. No pictures of its epic stance but will no doubt be a couple tomorrow when there's the South Central burger challenge, though there is a couple of mid-fit pictures for the rear end work...

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

Car drives lovely on the road now with the sachs in comparison to the H&R's, no doubting the H&R's are well damped and all but just not as soft as the sachs. Only critisism (which isnt really one) is with the Konis and the Whiteline have left it being rather 'fun' at the rear department, lift off oversteer on tap which is alright atm but with the winter months coming I may take them off if it gets too much.

Slightly readjusted the exhaust as the mounts are shagged and the exhaust was sagging a little, couple of chunks of random rubber found in the shed did the job nicely!

Before -
IMG_0597.jpg

After -
IMG_0598.jpg

Not a massive difference but has neatened it up and looks a tad more acceptable.

Also fitted a mint 182 interior I had lieing around that wasnt selling so chucked that in with a pretty good condition standard steering wheel (£25!) and a set of A-pillar plastics. Dave really did leave me with half a car you see!

IMG_0594.jpg

Last but no least, as the 2118's had R888's on them which were not a million miles away from being illegal I decided to get a new set of tyres off my brother (works for a tyre distributer). Four 195/50/15 Hankook V12 Evos for £148. Bargain.

IMG_0592.jpg

That mostly should keep me going for the rest of the year now other than a few small things, just get on with putting mileage on it and mainly enjoying it!

Nick

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Be interested to hear more about the Sachs/H&R comparison. GeorgeK had some interesting things to say about leaving the rear well alone which made a lot of sense to me.

Oh BTW watch out for those ph1's, they destroy Trophies.

Reaction score
I've taken the H&R'S off buddy, now running just the Sachs front / Koni adjustable rear shocks at the back with standard trophy springs all round and a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar.

Got any info on this GeorgeK fellow and his views? Interested to see what he has to say about it as suspension is a very person thing so what he'll be saying will be biased towards how he likes the car to handle unless there's any damaging effect having this setup.

Lol at the Ph1 comment on CS, just Gaz on the wind up!

Nick