Reaction score
Hi all,
Was at mcdonalds today in the drive thru and the management light came on in the dash and it started flashing, as soon as i turned the car off and then back on again it went away,
This has hapened a few times but only when sitting idleing for some long periods,
Is there a commen fault of this happening because the car is fine and it runs perfect,
Im not going to get it looked at since it only happens once in a blue moon but just thought i would ask and see if this has happened to anyone else,
your thoughts appreciated!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That could be many things but it's not coming on for the shear hell of it, although i suppose it could be :) If it's only doing it every so often it could just be a loose connection/dirty contact somewhere.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine now doing this intermittently on idle - omissions light flashes away.

Any idea if an OBD II reader will detect this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Am having huge problems with this now.

Had occasional problems in the past if engine left idling for a long time and the light would flash, but would then go out after half a mile of normal driving. There was absolutely no problem with the engine at all and performance was always as good as ever.

Had it checked recently by a Renault dealer who attached their OBD reader or whatever it's called. According to this the Engine has a ''destructive misfire' which is bs as it works fine, or has done until yesterday. The dealer couldn't say what it was exactly and gave a list of things they would change for about £350 without any guarantee it would cure the flashing light.

However, yesterday going on a normal drive suddenly the light came on permanently and the engine misfired badly and at the same time I noticed the temperature gauge dropped to zero(cold). When I stopped at the side of the road the misfiring stopped and the engine was idling at 2000rpm but the temperature gauge was back to normal. Just managed to get home and switch off, but will not now use the car until I get this sorted.

Suppose it will have to go to a dealer as they have the full equipment, but any suggestions would be most welcome. Typical, as my other car is being serviced today. :cry:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could be a number of things I guess, have you tried a post on Cliosport.net? You often do get a mixed response mind you.

Keep me posted as further down the line mine will probably get worse. From what i've read most people think it is an O2 sensor or simply leads / plugs.

Thanks

Reaction score
Trophy No.
From what i've read it sounds like its your temp sensor as if the cars thinks its cold the revs pick up.

Hope this helps. I would use another reliable local garage if you have one!

Reaction score
Have had similar problem, but only 'fault' is the light.

Cleaning the TDC sensor cured the problem for 6-9months when it used to come up almost daily, easy job to do yourself.

Reaction score
Sorry to be so long replying. Many thanks bearne and keith. Will let you know how I get on. Think I've found a local garage I trust.

Reaction score
My light use to pop on occasionally in my old 182. Thought it was going to be a major mechanical problem, it turns out it seriously needed new front brakes. After changing the brakes it stopped and never came back! :D

Reaction score
Well it just seems odd that the light would appear everytime I drove the car, and as soon as I replaced the pads and discs it never came on again! I think it's to much of a coinsidence that this would have happended, surely the two sensors maybe connected in some way.

Reaction score
my light does the exact same thing, i first noticed at mcdonalds aswell funnily enough! it comes on once in a blue moon, will flash then when i turn it off the back on. engine is sound, yours sounds to me like a coil pack problem! they fuck your idling up, does it sound like a scooby when you turn it over?

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
From what i've read it sounds like its your temp sensor as if the cars thinks its cold the revs pick up.

Hope this helps. I would use another reliable local garage if you have one!

+1 for Reboot. Also the fan will not work when the engine gets hot if the sensor isn't working properly.

Reaction score
Hey Luke, thanks for that. Haven't used the car since this happened :( and probably won't be able to do anything until after New Year now, but will let you know what the problem ends up being. I noticed the tailpipes are black and sooty. Coal-fired Trophy anyone?

Everything happens at once. The dishwasher packed up, the iMac is causing probs since i upgraded to Snow Leopard and I didn't want to spend my Christmas money on repairs..... oh, well...

Reaction score
to bump an old thread, my engine management light came on today and flashed for a while. Drove fine really, only thing Id say is it had a rough idle slightly.......
Knew I should have just used the daily like normal lol