DIESEL / PETROL BAN 2040.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CS 1969, Jul 26, 2017.

1. CS 1969

CS 1969

Trophy No.:
    369/500
    So wonder what this means exactly? Are old / classic cars etc still going to be allowed on the roads??

2. Saint27

Saint27

Trophy No.:
    057/500
    They are banning the selling of new petrol and diesel cars from 2040, so petrol and diesel cars will still be able to be used on road. At the moment.
    I would imagine the numbers of fossil fuel cars would be diminishing on the run up to this date but the main problem might be the lack of conventional fuel stations. May be Amazon will deliver fuel by drone???!!!!!

CS 1969 likes this.
  3. Paul Morris

Paul Morris

Trophy No.:
    444/500
    Interesting... it hadn't dawned on me that petrol station numbers would dwindle. I ran a Vauxhall Ampera for three years and can tell you that once faster charging is available giving a 200m + range on a charge your average buyer will shift to electric. Charging at home each night would result in the decline of petrol stations quite quickly.

The biggest problem is the electricity grid. A couple of electric cars in the same street already causes problems. The only solution I think (without spending vast sums on the grid) is to store electricity in battery packs at home. They can charge from solar panels or slowly from the grid through the day. The battery pack would then be able to supply the electricity to the car at the higher 130+ amp required for fast charging.

The government would be better off subsidising solar panels and battery packs when bought with a new car if they want to push people into electric cars. The fact that the grid won't cope is the rather large elephant in the room!

Anyway by 2040 we'll all be getting about in our flying cars!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CS 1969, Miller, hoolio and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kelv

Kelv

Ha ha @ flying cars, that will be 2030.

By 2040 flying cars will feel a thing of the past.
    My money is on teleportation by 2040

:wink:

5. BenG

BenG ClioTrophy Moderator

Trophy No.:
    266/500
    Does anyone want to buy my Land Rover Defender...?

6. Miller

Miller

Yes lots to work out before this happens.

National grid is pushed already without the expanding population and then electric cars bikes vans trucks and buses.

Who will fund the change of all the local regional and national government vehicles.

Petrol and diesel cars will still be on sale so long as hybrids

The short fall of TAX and fuel duty.

And what happens to give people help getting in to a newer vehicle and then how will that be funded.

But classic cars will be OK. But will be banned from town/city centres way way before then any how.

7. hoolio

hoolio

Trophy No.:
    307/500
    Completely arbitrary and meaningless date that will be proven irrelevant by events on the ground.

Chris197F1 likes this.
  8. Matt___

Matt___

Trophy No.:
    116/500
    I'm wondering what it'll do for classic car prices. I felt a bit sad when I saw the news. In 2040 I'll be 60 and I was hoping that in my lovely days of retirement I could enjoy pootling around in some classics rather than them being on bricks because I can't get any fuel. I'm comforted by my memories of Tomorrows World on TV in the 80's saying that by now we'd all be flying around in jet packs and that Mars would be a holiday destination....

Miller likes this.