Dazzler32's Trophy Progress Thread

Reaction score
Just a wee update. Fitted new mist washer jets and what a difference in coverage. £6 well spent.

One thing I'm not sure of is the gap between the bonnet and the jet itself, should I have removed the gasket?

Also my jack and axles stands should arrive on Tuesday so I can get the dampers off in plenty time to package them up safely.

Reaction score
I'm going to remove the dampers tomorrow morning.

Try to plan ahead, is it common practice to fit new top mounts when refitting the dampers?
I am going to order new bolts and nuts.

My plan is to buy new rear shocks as well, do I need to buy fittings for these as well? I'm sure I read somewhere someone had to swap parts over.

Cheers
Daryl

Reaction score
the rears?? pros = you can not buy them from Renault, and after 10 years+ your are most likely perished, cons = dont think there are any, they are not too hard, you wont notice the difference from that point of view

2014-06-17191039_zps2b3d528e.jpg

Reaction score
Cheers, I noticed a few owners have taken this route. I need to source dust covers and bump stops for the new rear dampers, are these available as a kit or do I have to buy 182 shocks for them?

Reaction score
Well that's my front dampers and new rear discs and pads fitted. I owe a big thank you to my pal Steven (truck mechanic) as he saved the day.

The top mounts were just turning and as I didn't have a swan neck 21mm spanner we took a trip to Halfords which ended up being a wasted journey as they were out of stock. In the end Steven raided his tool box at work, funny thing is his work is actually closer than Halfords.

With his collection of tools plus his batteries gun, removal was pretty easy apart from me rounding the 17mm nut on the top mount.

Anyway after all that drama I can't see any leaks from the dampers but the right top mount was shot which explains the knocking the previous owner was hearing.

I'm still going to send them off to BG to be on the safe side plus once they are done I'll know they will be good for the next few years.

I have ordered 2 new oem top mounts, I was lucky enough to come across 20% off on eBay if paying by PayPal. I still need to order 4 bolts and nuts though.

The changing the rear brakes is a simple yet awkward job. I bought standard discs and Brembo pads from George@RTR_parts plus new spacers and nuts. The must annoying/frustrating part was fitting the wedge that holds the pads in.
I have new Brembo HC discs and ds2500 pads to fit to the front but the current discs actually look okay apart from the grooves being full of crap. I'm in 2 minds about just replacing them. I'll have a wee think about it between now and when my dampers return.

I'll post pictures over the weekend of before and after cleaning them up. I'm hoping this will show if there is actually any leaks.

Reaction score
A few pictures of my dampers before and after cleaning.

How they looked are being taken off the car.

566b1db73cb3e9c6a5bb729e60e0f8b9.gif

After a wee blast with the steam cleaner to remove the worst of the dirt.

104409530265fb9cbdfec48aeaa88781.gif

Reaction score
Just had a call from BG to say I need new shafts in both dampers. I should of feared the worst as the gaiters have perished and have a couple of holes :(

Reaction score
They nearly always need new shafts, I'll budget myself £900 for mine when they need doing

It wasn't really a great surprise, I had budgeted £1000 for it just a bit disappointed they needed done already but heyho.
Just means all the "Big" jobs are done so I can enjoy the summer with it.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I must have been lucky as my shafts have been fine, Now with the extra parts to mine my shafts should be ok next time round.

I think its pot luck if you need shafts or not , i would advise getting gators and bump stops for protect them from the dirt and grime.

Reaction score
Yeah I know the feeling I had new shafts done also got some new gators from Bg while I was there

Snap. I can't wait to put it all back together. I better order these rear dampers while I still have money in the piggy bank.