Cracked spoiler

Discussion in 'Clio Trophy Discussion' started by Wiggy, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wiggy

Wiggy

Trophy No.:
    246/500
    Looking for some advice. I have this crack on the edge of the spoiler. Do you think it could be repaired (and if so, how), or does it need to be replaced (where could I get one from)?

Any ideas how it might have happened? I'd like to guard against it happening again.

Cheers

IMG_20180903_191037.jpg IMG_20180903_191107.jpg IMG_20180903_191130.jpg IMG_20180903_191152.jpg

2. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

Probably some bellend hitting down on it, 5 or so years i have been on here and Cliosports, never seen it happen

3. Wiggy

Wiggy

Trophy No.:
    246/500
    So it's not the damage you get from failed tailgate struts then?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

4. SharkyUK

SharkyUK

Trophy No.:
    165/500
    I've never seen that type of crack either, mate. That looks like someone / thing has given it a whack.

Failed boot struts only typically break your skull as the boot 'closes' on you... :smile:

Wiggy likes this.
  5. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

LMAO, like Sharkey said, when they fail, they won't hold the boot open, if your boot struts were any longer, the spoiler would dent the roof, but definitely would not crack on the sides like that

6. Wiggy

Wiggy

Trophy No.:
    246/500
    Thanks guys.

Sharky's comment made me laugh - I've banged my head so many times already cos I forget how low the tailgate is.

Sent from my Huawei P20 using Tapatalk

SharkyUK likes this.
  7. dablk

dablk

Out of interest are your struts the right ones? It’s not some sort of compresson failure from the middle getting squeezed by using normal mk2 Clio boot struts. I would have assumed the spoiler would crack in the middle rather than transferring to the edge. But perhaps they do.

I have actually seen the same crack on a previous trophy I viewed years ago.

8. dablk

dablk

@Mossyv6 any v6 owners come across this?

Mossyv6 likes this.
  9. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

mk2 clio struts are only slightly too long, and as i mentioned all they do is cause the spoiler to dent the roof

10. Wiggy

Wiggy

Trophy No.:
    246/500
    Pretty sure the struts are right (and changed in 2014 from the history). The spoiler doesn't touch the roof at all when opening the boot. Maybe someone could confirm the part number: fc160adfdbe7f675200d053fa54f3897.jpg

Sent from my Huawei P20 using Tapatalk

11. dablk

dablk

I think those are the sgs ones. It touches in the middle of the roof if you have the wrong ones.

12. Mossyv6

Mossyv6

Yes I have come across this a few times unfortunately - once on a genuine v6/trophy as per this item and the rest on 182 cup spoilers.

From investigation it would appear the spoilers are very tight at this point underneath where they are screwed down - not enough material removed from the underneath inner edge as it catches on the glass edge when screwed down and cracks.
    On my cracked spoilers I flipped them on there backs and removed a couple mm of material from the inner edges, then carefully fibreglass repaired and sprayed/blended this repaired area in.
    I will get a photo shortly as my v6 spoiler is of the car and resting safely in the garage :smile:

Wiggy likes this.
  13. Mossyv6

Mossyv6

This is nothing to do with the gas struts at all.

They are there to shorten the travel of the tailgate and stop the spoiler hitting the aerial and the roof edge.

14. Mossyv6

Mossyv6

This is mine and you can actually see where mine has been rubbing as per the white marks where the paint has rubbed off.
    The white marks show perfectly where to remove the material so it's doesn't catch again.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

I am still sticking with the theory that it was some little chav :tongueout:

16. Wiggy

Wiggy

Trophy No.:
    246/500
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I had a look but couldn't see any signs of rubbing on mine. I did notice that one of the bolts was missing on the cracked side, however, there doesn't seem to be any movement that would cause it to catch on the glass so Mikey could be right.

Just need to find someone skilled with fibreglass and a spraygun now, cos it ain't me.

17. Wokling

Wokling

I had a crack like that on my spoiler, car is in the body shop getting a full respray and they have managed to repair it and it looks like new. Pictures are on my other phone.

18. Cue

Cue

Trophy No.:
    274/500
    As mentioned, it won't be from the struts - recently i replaced my rear centre brake light, which requires the removal of the rear spoiler. looking at your pictures I'd be guessing that either someone has tried to lift the spoiler upwards from the car (as there's a screw not far from that crack) OR the foam may be degenerating and the screw being over torqued could have split the spoiler.

It's tricky to tell from the pics but a possible third scenario is that the paint is flaking?

It's not until you remove the spoiler you realise how fragile and light they are - they are just a hardened foam basically.