Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all,

My first fault with number 019 and sods law its only 2 months out of warranty... D'OH! #-o

Any way, I'm almost certain its a fault with the Coolant Sensor but i wanted to check to see if anyone else has had the problem before i go and part with some cash at a dealer somewhere.

Basically when the car has been driving for 20 minutes or more and is fully up to temperature, the temp gauge sometimes lingers around the 1/4 mark and slowly goes up a bit and then back down. As i was driving i thought i would swerve slightly whilst on the move and this moved the gauge to the correct 1/2 way position but it soon returned back to the 1/4 mark. After sat stationary for a while the gauge does creep up slowly to the 1/2 way mark but obviously this isn't normal.

So i thought that maybe the reason for it returning to the normal position when i swerved was due to low coolant levels however, after checking the levels all were fine.

Does this sound like a sensor fault? If so how much are they and how much of a pig is it to fit?

(I did try a search and couldn't really find anything that matched my issue 100%, found something about having the sensor wiring changed though which i didn't like the sound of...)

Cheers!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the coolant temperature sensor.

The needle had a mind of its own and sometimes it would rev itself as the ECU thought the engine was cold, therefor increasing the revs. Mine was totally un driveable.

I have No idea on costs or how easy it is to change etc as it was covered under warrenty.

Reaction score
Mine would drop like a stone to cold, then as above the idle went up to about 2000 rpm, which did make town driving a little erratic.

Yep, temp sensor, but ditto, no idea on cost etc.

Reaction score
Mine was done recently under warranty. It was intermittant when first started- the only noticeable thing was sometimes idling rougher than normal. I saw the gauge fluctuate slightly once, it was fine once warmed up and only sometimes played up when first started.

I think it's located under the airflter box? If you've got access to an RSTuner then do some data logging and that will show it up for sure. :wink:

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks all. Found from the dealer its £20 for the part, apparently they've not had to replace any before on the F4R engine... :^o

Its in the side of the thermostat housing if anyone ever needs to replace theirs.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you're doing this yourself, then take a pi or two - i'm thinking of stickying a few guides for future use. This could be one...

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I've asked the dealer for an image of where it goes so i'll scan this if its any use. If its an easy job i'll attempt it and take some pics... I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
I had this problem.
The sensor is only held in place by the friction of a rubber washer, this means it can slip loose.
It took the Rentech guy at least 2 seconds to push it back into place.

Reaction score
Yep mine had started fluctuating, took the airbox out and just pushed the connector back together and it's been fine ever since.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good tip guys. Ill keep this in mind next time it happens. (No doubt it will happen again)

Reaction score
Can anyone explain in simple terms what I'm looking for? Mine (on the way back from having something else repaired, lol) has started playing up...

So I take the airbox off, then what?

Reaction score
There is a temperature sensor just under the throttle body, unplug the connections give them a clean then refit.
I've put a zip tie around mine as it was a little loose for my likings.
Been fine over the last 11k miles.

Reaction score
Folks, I have got mine working this morning, and took some pics.

Point 1, I don't believe you do need to remove the airbox to get to this thing. This is a picture with just the hose from the airbox removed which gives adequate room to fiddle with it.

1001428c.jpg

And this is the actual sensor (with the cable tie round):

1001429g.jpg

I took it out (just unclips to the right of the cable tie) and removed the cable tie and insulation tape (suspect relic of Renault's "warranty" repair to the wiring) and put it back together with tape over the point where the wire goes into its protective sheath and the end of the sensor. Note: do not remove the whole thing by undoing the nut, as this lets engine oil out. Mine was not amazingly tight, so I part undid it until oil started to seep and hastily did it up tightly!!

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I thought I would add the document here to make it easier to refer to in the future.

Number 20 in the diagram

[attachment=0:2xqonewz]Clio Temp.pdf[/attachment:2xqonewz]

Attachments

• Clio Temp.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 187

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Damit. I think my sensor is on its way out again!! yesterday it took a looooong time to get up to temp. Today on the way back home from work it lingered at 1/4 for 10 minutes, then went to 1/2, dropped just below 1/2 and then bounced from 1/4 - 1/2 for a few seconds and then stayed just below 1/2 on the gauge.

Is it difficult to replace the sensor? DIY job?

Reaction score
Its a DIY job quite simple unplug sensor unscrew and refit new one. When removing it will lose coolant easy way is to place a bucket under area then remove sensor fit new one plug in then top up coolant with fresh stuff its 50% coolant 50% water wont matter if its a tad strong but dont do full coolant.
Finally Bleeding the cooling system run the engine with the pressure cap off and wait till engine get up to temperature only then will the thermostat open and cooling system will bleed through the coolant will drop so top it up as it goes. If the level raises fit pressure cap. If coolant dont bleed you can fit pressure cap then take car for drive and check level when your back. Once bled leave it over night and check level when engine is stone cold it will drop.

Reaction score
Hi, I have Clio 2005 1.4 16V, 91,000KM driven. Its STOP and Temp lights are turning ON after 3-4 minutes of engine start. Goes OFF by itself after few minutes and then turn ON again. I have changed the radiator and coolant. Temp needle is just below the half. Whenever temp light turns ON, it shuts the A/C compressor OFF and A/C throws hot air instead of cold.

Temp sensor was changed almost one year back. At that time, temp needle was going to red area within few seconds even after starting the car after 24 hours. I got this job done by myself with the help of this forum.

Any help in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
When driving Trophy first thing in the morning it take a while to get upto temperature, when its in the middle of the gauge is then drops to 1/3 way up the gauge, then goes up to halfway again. Is this a faulty temperature sensor? seems ok at the moment, just thinking that in cold weather is could cause an issue?!