Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
"The combined effect of all the tweaks should be a Clio with a more hardcore temperament than the 'ordinary' 197, but no more straight line speed. For that, we'll have to wait until later in the car's life, say company insiders, when the drivetrain from the larger Megane R26, complete with turbocharger and limited slip differential, could find its way into the Clio's engine compartment; if it does, it could result in the fastest and most compelling Renault hot hatch since the Renault 5 Turbo. "

please RENO, SHED SOME WEIGH AS WELL AS THE POWER INCREASE!

do you think they heard me?

Reaction score
Imagine how fast and capable the new breed of Mini JCW car's will be (still look like a hairdresser's car though :lol: ). Renault has fallen behind in the hot hatch sector for the first time in ages.

Reaction score
Cue said:
when the drivetrain from the larger Megane R26, complete with turbocharger and limited slip differential, could find its way into the Clio's engine compartment; if it does, it could result in the fastest and most compelling Renault hot hatch since the Renault 5 Turbo

If it does, I'll be selling up! :twisted:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not sure if i'll sell the Trophy....... it'd be a difficult decision though - test drive would be the decider....

Reaction score
Trophy No.
OliS said:
Cue said:
when the drivetrain from the larger Megane R26, complete with turbocharger and limited slip differential, could find its way into the Clio's engine compartment; if it does, it could result in the fastest and most compelling Renault hot hatch since the Renault 5 Turbo

If it does, I'll be selling up! :twisted:

Heretic. Burn him :lol:

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Heretic. Burn him :lol:

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love my Trophy...but I also love the delivery of turbocharged cars, more so than naturally aspirated engines. The base 197 is a really good motor so if they do shoehorn the Meggy turbo lump in there it will surely be an exciting proposition.

Reaction score
[quote="Don't get me wrong, I love my Trophy...but I also love the delivery of turbocharged cars, more so than naturally aspirated engines. The base 197 is a really good motor so if they do shoehorn the Meggy turbo lump in there it will surely be an exciting proposition.[/quote]

As said to the kid in that film they show around Christmas "You'll shoot your eye out" :)

Why can't we have both, the greater power and a car with barely anything in it, if the various bits aren't fitted they won't cost anything and that can go towards the mods. IMO, the JCW GP only went half the way. Bring on a Carrera RS stylee Clio

But if they really run with the F1 weight saving ethos our cars will only run for 500 miles between servicing :evil:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Day said:
Top RS blokey from Renault said they would never fit a spoiler on it.

Wasn't the innovative image they want to portrait.

Think we're stuck with the diffuser...

For now anyhow

Yeah, he wasn't to impressed when i told him it needed a spoiler.

Then again he also said that they were so proud of the chassis and didn't expect much evolution in that as it was as good as it could get......... So they develop a cup pack :p

Reaction score
artdealer said:
Why can't we have both, the greater power and a car with barely anything in it, if the various bits aren't fitted they won't cost anything and that can go towards the mods.

As said to the kid in the movie "You'll shoot your eye out"! :p :wink: :lol:

it's a nice idea though - and I know a few of us off this forum would love a RS spec Clio, but is there enough of a market for Renault to go into production?

Also there was a lot of talk about a turbocharged mk 2 Clio, and that never materialised so I am not holding out to much hope of Renault putting a turbo lump in the mk 3.

Reaction score
I hope not, I love that hair trigger twitchiness you get in the Trophy when it's 'on cam', Naturally apirated engines are always better in a light car. Forced induction is for diesel taxis and rally cars.

Reaction score
they do a spoiler pack and side skirts for it

did you not see it at the autosport show all spoilered up

and not it was not the cup racer befor you say it was.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
MrD06 said:
they do a spoiler pack and side skirts for it

did you not see it at the autosport show all spoilered up

and not it was not the cup racer befor you say it was.

I thought the whole idea of the rear diffuser was to render a spoiler useless? The diffuser generates more downforce than a spoiler and also has more benfits ie lower drag....

I don't think it needs anything adding.... it's all about what it needs to be shedding!!!

Reaction score
Renaultsport has also confirmed it will launch its first ever diesel at Geneva – a Megane variant will get the 175bhp unit from the Laguna GT which will pull it to 62mph in about 7.5 seconds and offer “masses of torqueâ€Â.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Holt thinks this could be a pivotal launch for Renaultsport: “I think (by selling out)we could literally double the sales of Megane overnight, as there are so many boring commuter types who can only have chip-fat burning company cars. If this new Megane appears on the choice list, everyone will be saying ‘oh no, not another sport brand sold out to oil burning turbo-lagged frugality’â€Â.

Tis a shame. :cry:

Reaction score
well..... we had an unaccompanied test drive of the R27 yesterday afternoon... must have had the car for almost an hour and had some time to give it some stick.

must say i got into the car with some high expectations for it to meet and i got out after the test drive very impressed.

exhuast note is awesome, recaros fitted my slim frame very well and had the added benefit of being height adjustable on the drivers side. The car doesn't have the pronounced 5k kick anymore, power delivery is very smooth and IMO has the grin factor.... the R27 we drove had 1200 miles on so was still quite tight and lacking a bit of low down grunt, however work the gears well and you make good progression :D

the amount of pull through the gears was good, the speed the car was travelling at was quite deceptive - i had to look at the speedo a couple of times in disbelief at the speed - yes it isnt as raw or go-kartish as the Trophy but it still is a very capable car. The Cup packed suspension has firmed the car up nicely, and i found i'd got used to the overlight steering very quickly and never noticed it again. brakes again are just awesome too.

i know there is quite a few who dislike the 197, but i am now growing more towards them.... the R27 in particular has now moved the game on in the right direction IMO

Reaction score
Any more of this talk and I might have to 'modify' your Rank. :lol:

Just kidding, nice write-up Gareth, it's much more valuable for me to hear opinions from other Trophy owners than Journalists. I'll keep an open mind.

I think most 197 owners are still waiting for their engines to 'loosen up'. :lol:

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Wow 1200 miles already?! Was that used as a press car or something?

its a dealer demo but it's being well used. the guys last demo was sold with 12k on it so hes got it for a while longer. he was telling me how the last one had loosened up nicely by the time he sold it

Reaction score
Good post Gareth... don't foget though that being 'go-kartish' or 'raw' is part of the Trophy appeal... otherwise you're in any other hot-hatch territory (e.g. Cooper S). It is the reason that makes the Trophy a great car, and the R27 a good car :)

O.