Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
Some say that he is too afraid to own up to it because he will be hung by the Trophy purists ! :wink:

That's silly, the only Trophy purist on here now has a 197 Cup :wink:

Reaction score
I went through all these issues when deciding whether to stay with the Trophy or not.

LPT is a nice solution but how well the package can manage the heat may be a long term issue as well as the extra load on other parts of the system. Also who will live with it as an LPT for very long, before wanting HPT! It is u/s for motorsport because it ends up in the same class as a 400 bhp pls Evo/Subaru. Ultimately it is a lot of money.

Similarly to make TB's work properly you need different cams, probably bigger ports and high compression pistons, as well as a stand alone management system. There is also the issue that there is not enough room to get the right inlet length and a proper air box. Again expensive.

There was a recenet flurry of activity on Cliosport about a new inlet manifold which would run the standard throttle body and management system - a great idea in concept, but one which never seems to come to fruition. Also the 197/200 has a different inlet manifold with shorter runners and all that does is to push the power up the range and detract from the mid range, so don't hold you breath for a magical outcome. it also has different cams and a more sophisticated advance mechanism for the inlet cam.

Personally i would stay virtually standard, just have a good remap and perhaps a bit of general fettling. My comments about inlets and exhausts still stand, until someone comes up with proper before and after figures. I modifed the inlet pipe to the standard airbox to increase the cross sectional area of the feed, and deleted the a/v, but suspect that the two inlet pipes fitted as standard could well be adequate. Contrary to what I thought the standard rear boxes are probably not straight through, but because there are two in parallel their resistance should be quite low - so again an alternative would be of doubtful benefit. The biggest gain would be in reducing their weight by a single light stainless box.

Sadly weight reduction is quite difficult without spoiling the car, but 100 kg is worth about 18 bhp. Best areas would be rear boxes, seats and battery - total I would guess circa £800 - 1,000 Then you are into removing soundproofing - undercarpet felt can be quite heavy - and air con.

Reaction score
Here's the video showing the Blue Supercharged 182 pull away on the straights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZompwoh29o

Just too touch on a point raised by George, loosing weight is without doubt the easiet and cheapest way to gain from a clio, it's just a case of whether or not you can live with it day to day. Also don't be fooled by some of the weights thrown around on the internet, you'll need to go to serious lengths to get a clio 182 down to 900kg's :(

Reaction score
Chirs you are so right re how dififcult it is to get weight down. The only effective route is to go to a bare shell and only replace the essentials. It is interesting tp note how heavy a modern wiring loom is - hence why the Challenge cars appear to have a lightweight simpler version.

Reaction score
I have been in the K-Tec Clio with the low pressure turbo conversion and TBH for £3000 it aint all that! Yeah it is quick but not rapid as you think! But now if you go in the 300bhp Clio now that is brown pants moments!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
power ranger said:
I have been in the K-Tec Clio with the low pressure turbo conversion and TBH for £3000 it aint all that! Yeah it is quick but not rapid as you think! But now if you go in the 300bhp Clio now that is brown pants moments!

That wouldn't be paul at RS Tunings would it? that thing is supercar rapid, stripped shell - probably barley above 850kg and just over 300nbp, supercharger so power is linear and instant. Christ it's quick.

Reaction score
I had my old 172 cup running at just over 200bhp, that was with reprofiled cams, head modifyed, inlet and outlet manifolds board to an inch of there life, 182 manifold, valve throats and seats modifyed, ITG maxogen, k-tec stealth exhaust - It was very very quick and suprised a HELL of alot of bigger powered cars I bought the car already slightly tuned up 181bhp but I finished it off to see a healhy 197bhp but sold it just after I had modifyed the inlets more and put on the exhaust and ITG maxogen.

Most of the work was carried out by LAD when I bought it, but I did everything else myself.

Reaction score
For 3 grand I would be expecting a bit more of an increase. There has been a supercharger upgrade for the 306 gti6 engine for some time now, and that produces 260bhp on low boost with stock internals, and the high boost produces just over 400bhp for around 6-7 grand.

That a lot of money to spend on a car that's not worth a lot these days, but my god they are quick. Surely to warrant spending 3 grand you would need a bit more power.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Unfortunately you don't buy bhp by the £ especially when it comes to the F4R or some of us would have pretty powerful cars by now. I think George and Chris's remarks need to be underlined, it seems the most cost effective and effective mods are a combination of weight loss and a sympathetic remap, upgrade the brakes and add zorst etc for a few less kgs and character and you will enhance an already fine car that will outdrive most of what you are likely to meet.

Reaction score
gib172 said:
I had my old 172 cup running at just over 200bhp, that was with reprofiled cams, head modifyed, inlet and outlet manifolds board to an inch of there life, 182 manifold, valve throats and seats modifyed, ITG maxogen, k-tec stealth exhaust - It was very very quick and suprised a HELL of alot of bigger powered cars I bought the car already slightly tuned up 181bhp but I finished it off to see a healhy 197bhp but sold it just after I had modifyed the inlets more and put on the exhaust and ITG maxogen.

Most of the work was carried out by LAD when I bought it, but I did everything else myself.

Did you spend more than 3 grand on this then?