Reaction score
What engine oil should I be using for my 182?

I changed the oil after 3k miles for ELF EX.... 5W 40 Synthetic I think.
Does the synthetic mean fully or semi, i can't remember?!!

I changed it again after 7k miles and away to again after 11k miles.

Would anybody argue with what oil I am using and when i am using it?

Reaction score
The right answer will just be to use the one Renault uses during a service.. although arguably there is better.

O.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
5w40 is the best to use, Silkolene is about the best brand but any 5w40 is better than the 10w stuff reno puts in them.

Reaction score
My ELF OIL STATES, - 5W 40 Synthetic, does that mean semi or fully synthetic??

What should it be fully or semi?

Reaction score
Only ever use fully synthetic oil, it's the only thing good enough for a high revving engine like an F4R, or any modern engine, they are designed to be used with fully syntheitc now so using mineral oil or part there of will only result in premature engine wear.

No oil is truly 'fully' synthetic though, that would require a molecule by molecule construction which is unfeasible, it's all just fossilized tree goo with clever stuff in it.

If you want to stick with the recommended, it should be Elf Excellium 5W 40 Fully Synthetic. But if you want the best go for Silkolene Pro S, available from www.opieoils.co.uk

Reaction score
Cheers Steve,

Now, I have lost my username and password for the clio williams web page! I'm stuck.

Reg vardy told me to go for ELF COMPETITION ST 10W 40 SEMI SYNTHETIC VERY HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL, BARELY USED THE CAR SINCE PUTTING THAT IN.

Were they correct? What is the difference between the williams and the 182, can't be a lot, surely it should be the EXCELLIUM LDX ELF SYNTHETIC 5W 40 which I have put in my 182?

Cheers

Reaction score
The Williams will be fine on Semi-Synthetic, the engine was designed to run on it, not to say if you can afford fully synthetic you shouldn't go for it.

LOL at "Very High Performance" and "Semi Synthetic" in the same sentence. If it needed "very high perfomance" with 150bhp then surely Fully Synthetic would be better.

If you ask the guys at Opie Oils what oil they recommend for your Williams, they will get back to you very quickly with a couple of recommendations, they can't really be beaten for price and service either.

Reaction score
Hi new to this site but use Cliosport quite a bit, just changed my oil for Silkolene Pro S 5w40 and it really does seem to run alot smoother than what Renault put in. Recomend it loads and buy from Opie Oils down here in Cornwall, they are really helpful.

Cheers

Cookie