Reaction score
There are quite a few driving-related things which annoy me so I thought I'd post one each month until I run out - call it therapy if you like. Maybe everyone will agree with me, more than likely they won't, and maybe this will spark a bit of a debate/controversy. Whatever the outcome post your thoughts, comments & experiences.

The first installment of my series of gripes is sidelights, or as they should be called, parking lights. These get on my wick for a number of reasons but the main one is when people don't use them. I used to regularly drive, often at night, a fast stretch of B-road with few chances to overtake slower vehicles. One of the straight sections had a lay-by which was frequently occupied with parked cars, which, 9 times out of 10 left their headlights on and ruined my chance of an overtake. Annoying to say the least, but dangerous?

Just the other day I'd just got in the car and was driving down my quiet residential road at night. I rounded a bend and coming towards me were two cars, both with their headlights on, one on each side of the road. It turned out one of them was parked. Annoying to say the least, but dangerous? I'd argue that for young & inexperienced drivers it could have been.

Then there's the people who do use their parking lights... when they're driving! What's that all about? It comes back to the same stretch of B-road, which has dense woodland either side. Driving at dawn/dusk/ in poor visibility conditions and the chance to overtake a slower vehicle, begin to make the move and then realise there's an oncoming car, with it's parking lights on - the "glare" no stronger than a wind-up torch with 2 minutes life remaining. Put your headlights on and do everyone a favour.

I've never understood people who drive with their parking lights on. If I'm in any doubt then the headlights go on. What benefit do parking lights offer those who are driving - is it because they think they should have some lights on but they're afraid to use headlights unless it's really dark? Do they think headlights are blinding when used during the day? I'd much rather do everything I can to make sure I'm seen than run the risk of somebody not seeing me & causing an accident.

Finally, a few selected excerpts on the matter, taken from the Highway Code online:
If you have to stop on the roadside:
  • you MUST switch off the engine, headlights and fog lights
At night all vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

You MUST
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
You should also
  • use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
Thanks for reading, I feel much better already. What's your take?

Reaction score
Let's throw logic away for a minute; what does this really mean:

You MUST
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
You should also
  • use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
So;

I don't have to (i.e. "must") use any lights at all in a built up area at night that's got street lights if the speed limit is 30mph? but if I want, I "should" (but not must) used dip lights?? OR, must I always use main beam at night where there are no streetlights....... no more dipping for oncoming traffic from now on :mad:

Obviously I use my dipped or headlights appropriately, always - just wondered how you might interpret the law as written :cool:

I also agree about the stupidity of driving with just the parking lights on..... hate people who use spots when they are not needed too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think DRL's will help a lot with this as they are bright enough to make a car easily visible at all times. Some are maybe too bright though.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
eljeffo,

I seem to remember that coming up on a driving course I was on. The regs are so old that there are some funny bits in it; you indeed do not need any lights on in street lit <30mph zones iirc.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Careful Claude you could end up stealing the Grumpiest old f*rt of the year title from me. ;)

Reaction score
eljeffo,

I seem to remember that coming up on a driving course I was on. The regs are so old that there are some funny bits in it; you indeed do not need any lights on in street lit <30mph zones iirc.

idiocy and danger aside, I wonder if you'd get away with it if stopped....:eek:

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
I'm sorry... Are you retarded?
Your quoting excerpts from a publishing which still lists the stopping distance from 70mph (112km/h) as 96 metres (315ft) or 24 car lengths!
If your having problems overtaking on a B-road due to oncoming traffic/Parked cars... slow down... problem solved.
And if you can't tell the difference between a parked car and a moving one because they both have their headlights on you should seriously consider whether you should be on the road!