AST Top Mounts - Be Aware Vol 2

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Following on from this thread -

http://www.cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/53150-AST-Top-Mount-Owners-Beware?highlight=Mounts

The car is in the garage getting the brings replaced and i got a phone call from them to say that they ASTs are soild and that the thread inside can not be undone to get the bearing out as its has fully seized and the only way to possibly undo it is to heat it up but the threads could also strip and with heating it up they would burn the mounts.

Now the reason i went for the AST solid mounts is for the fact i don't want to drill my top mount turrets to fit the K-Tec, Compbrake, Kam Raing or PMS ones.

While looking online AST sold mounts are now £366 both from AST & KAM Racing and can take 8 to 12 weeks.

I have now made the decision to go back to standard Renault mounts as this could happen again and anyone who has AST top mounts already i strongly advise getting them fully stripped off and very well greased up and protected .

Just goes to show that spending £366 on a good quality product is not always the best thing to so or best idea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe a little late but I'd recommend a product called Tef-Gel. Used it for years in the marine world and almost certainly would've saved your expensive top mounts, grease isn't much good for Ali/mild or stainless steel fixings.