Another DIY Sachs Rebuild/Service

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ooh, that's a nice graph :)

@Rik Perry - I was contemplating sending over the Sachs (they aren't on the car at the moment) but have decided to wait until the car is back home. I'll then have a good reason to take the beast out on a road trip and put a few miles on it (assuming you don't mind a visitor to your neck of the woods to drop off the dampers!)

Reaction score
Rik, perhaps a stupid question, but what's the reason for the difference in the negative force (N) trace vs. the positive force (N) trace between 0-50 on the velocity (mm/sec) scale?

Clearly the FL and FR are wonderfully matched across both scales as the green and red lines overlap.

Is it something to do with compression and rebound of the damper shaft?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thats the base difference between the Bump damping and the Rebound damping strength .... In my opinion the rebound damping is a bit too strong but that is non adjustable from the factory even with de pinned units ..

Reaction score
Just received the Sachs Trophy Dampers back from Rik Perry this week.

-The diamond like carbon (DLC) looks and is the business - can't really capture it on camera.
-I was concerned about loosing the Sachs decals and potential damage via post - I didn't have to, Rik has retained the decals which are now protected with tape and they had been packed extremely well.
-Additional documentation provided to keep with the history of the car including dyno graph and also detailing what work was done.

Diamond Like Carbon Coated shaft:
DSC_0080 - Copy.JPG

Completed Sachs Damper:
DSC_0092.JPG

Will hopefully be back on the car in the next few weeks.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They do look good. Is that a spray or powder coat finish and do you apply any rust killing after stripping?