Reaction score
Took my Trophy up to Ben R's place on Wednesday along with a couple of mates and am staggered by the difference to my car.

Mid range has improved dramatically and the torque is much more like a Williams now.

If anyone wants a go in my car let me know?

:D

Reaction score
Matt Wills said:
Not yet I'm not sure of who to get it done by......

Any recommendations?

:?

Well I was recommended Superchips by Mark Fish and a few other Clio owners I meet at Trackdays last year.

At the recent Surrey Rolling Road day the three highest performing cars all had a Sanspeed Custom Superchip re-maps.

Reaction score
Ive always thought about doing this, last time i looked Ben had a massive waiting list! Has this died down now?

How much was it, £200? and how long did it take?

Reaction score
Ben - Now has the faciltiy for a quick turn around.

If your after doing this mod, then give him & call.

Reaction score
Matt Wills said:
the torque is much more like a Williams now.

What, 129lb ft rather than 147? :lol: My 20 year old 1.9 GTI had nearly as much torque (122) and weighed a lot less (-70kg).

Reaction score
Hey Guys, this is the information post i put up on cliosport a while ago, we have moved from hand modification to CNC modification of the manifolds allowing significantly faster turnaround, and we now hold stock. Although 182's manifolds fly off the shelf and they stay in stock the shortest.

After weeks and weeks of work and trials which have turned into months, the most cost efficient mod has just got that tiny bit better.

After recieving so many orders, i was just physically unable to carry out the work without shutting down the rest of my business and the manifolds had to be done some other way, and i sure as hell didnt trust anybody else to do it as i've never seen comparable quality.

The only step left was CNC manufacture.

It took redesign after redesign to get the CAD drawing spot on, and after that we had to account for all the different batch castings currently on the market as they differ so much. This meant testing on every single incarnation of manifold core from 1999 to present day, including the hallowed 'RS' unit.

After all the work and testing we have come up with a design and process that allows us to turn around manifolds extreemly quickly and efficiently. With the use of CAD design we were able to generate the best blend of matching and blending to yeild the best gains possible. The design has changed and it would be impossible to generate the accuracy by hand without grinding VERY slowly and being an absolute god with cutter control, and even then you would find quite large discrepancies in the work. The design we ended up with was the result of CFD analysis and allowed us to generate a profile that aids flow control greatly. Infact, the actual perfect design requires material to be added to the casting so there are areas which are not touched as they are already 'oversize', and you will see this vary with batch casting used.

Enough of the babbling and more with the pics.

Stock Head face mating flange:

Stock 172 early phs 2
SNC10735.jpg
SNC10738.jpg

F4R 'RS' component
SNC10736.jpg
SNC10739.jpg

AWT CNC manifold
SNC10741.jpg
SNC10743.jpg

Stock 'crushed' gasket (dimentions as installed)
SNC10744.jpg

Actual head
SNC10747.jpg

As you can see the dimentions of the finished product match exactly, and still retain a 20 thou (0.5mm) step down as i have always advocated.

Plenum to manifold flange:

Stock 172 early phs 2
SNC10748.jpg
SNC10750.jpg

F4R 'RS' component
SNC10749.jpg
SNC10752.jpg

Notice the bumps, these are present on runners 1 & 4 and are also present on latter 172's and on 182's.

AWT CNC manifold
SNC10742.jpg
SNC10745.jpg

Stock plenum - manifold gasket
SNC10746.jpg
This one is uncrused, but it reduces in cross section by 0.5mm. Plenum/manifold match is perfect as the step down is generated in the plenum.

Price is near unaffected at £153.5+vat, and is a bargain for the precision and quality presented, considering countless midnight sessions were spent trying to get it spot on.

We have 30 sets in stock so can finally meet demand! :D

I'm one happy bunny!

If anybody wants to contact, please email me at [email:1nws9sm9]ben@angel-works.co.uk[/email:1nws9sm9] as my PM box is forever getting full when i dont monitor it.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Matt Wills said:
the torque is much more like a Williams now.

What, 129lb ft rather than 147? :lol: My 20 year old 1.9 GTI had nearly as much torque (122) and weighed a lot less (-70kg).

Maybe I should have explaned.

The torque is now much more progressive and the car pulls for better from 3k and then comes on strong at 5k.

:lol:

Reaction score
Sorry, I was being a cheeky twat, in case Stromba was reading. :lol:

Sounds well worth it, it's a bit of a lottery with french cars, some of the original castings are rough as arseholes. Nice to know you've got perfect airflow through the manifold.

Matt Wills said:
Steve said:
[quote="Matt Wills":p0u26s88]the torque is much more like a Williams now.

Maybe I should have explaned.

The torque is now much more progressive and the car pulls for better from 3k and then comes on strong at 5k.

:lol:[/quote:p0u26s88]

Reaction score
I m thinking of this mod too but get exhaust fitted at same time. Do ya reckon Ben will fit an orbisoud exhaust?

Also anyone know where you can get an orbisoud exhaust? I ve see t-tec have them but postage is well expensive!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
I m thinking of this mod too but get exhaust fitted at same time. Do ya reckon Ben will fit an orbisoud exhaust?

Also anyone know where you can get an orbisoud exhaust? I ve see t-tec have them but postage is well expensive!!

Ben will fit an exhaust, AWT can do pretty much anything you want from what I gather.

Your only other option apart from buying one from K-Tec Racing (They're in Verwood, Dorset Cue not Northamptonshire) is to get one yourself from the factory in France, but be warned, the reason the exhaust and the postage is so expensive is it comes in one piece! Needless to say - it's massive.

and beautiful, throaty, precision engineered, lightweight, race-bred, shiny, sexy and oh fuck it I want one.

Attachments

• map_orbisoud.jpg
    map_orbisoud.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 610
Reaction score
Hmmm do they fit in France?

My boss is French I could get her to negotiate!

Wonder if it is cheaper in Euro's?Could also visit the Millau Bridge and get some good photo op!!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve said:
Your only other option apart from buying one from K-Tec Racing (They're in Verwood, Dorset Cue not Northamptonshire)

I wonered why i'd never popped in on my way past, Dorset's a bit of a detour from the M1. lol

Reaction score
Is a manifold match the same as port and polish?

Just been put in touch with a guy in Newcastle who does custom jobs on cars. Quoted 590 for exhaust so debating whether to get that or orbisoud? hmmmm decisions

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
erm, not quite i dont think... a port polish is the next stage of it, this is more a case of slightly enlarging the inlet, whilst at the same time making the edges smoother (because it machined in a different way to the OEM one)

I'll ask on Friday :?