Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

Well 161 is now at its new home in County Durham, having driven her for a hundred miles or so and having had time to poke about like only you can having bought a car, I have a number of questions to ask... Any help appreciated.

1 clutch is quite heavy, not so much a problem as a question.... Are they all like this?
2 the gas struts/props for the tailgate are too weak, has anybody swapped them, if so for standard items? Hey are probably just tired but I wondered if it was a common problem.
3 there seems to be a noticeable power band that kicks in at 5000 rpm, is this typical?
4 front dampers are due for overhaul, any tips for removal that I ought to know?
5 there is some cosmetic damage to the panel that houses the heater controls, is this easily swapped? I can't see the means of attachment, maybe it's integral to the centre console?
6 has anybody swapped a steering wheel? Mine although in good shape generally is a bit grubby. Are new ones available or is re trimming a possibility.
7 the grey seat belts are grubby too, I thought I might pressure wash them to revive their appearance, any other ideas?
8 I see 98 RON fuel is recommended, what do you use, any comment?

Im certain I will be looking for more advice, but for now I will concentrate on the above. First impressions of the car are that it's a hoot, I look forward to having it fully sorted.

Cheers

Ian

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

Well 161 is now at its new home in County Durham, having driven her for a hundred miles or so and having had time to poke about like only you can having bought a car, I have a number of questions to ask... Any help appreciated.

1 clutch is quite heavy, not so much a problem as a question.... Are they all like this?
2 the gas struts/props for the tailgate are too weak, has anybody swapped them, if so for standard items? Hey are probably just tired but I wondered if it was a common problem.
3 there seems to be a noticeable power band that kicks in at 5000 rpm, is this typical?
4 front dampers are due for overhaul, any tips for removal that I ought to know?
5 there is some cosmetic damage to the panel that houses the heater controls, is this easily swapped? I can't see the means of attachment, maybe it's integral to the centre console?
6 has anybody swapped a steering wheel? Mine although in good shape generally is a bit grubby. Are new ones available or is re trimming a possibility.
7 the grey seat belts are grubby too, I thought I might pressure wash them to revive their appearance, any other ideas?
8 I see 98 RON fuel is recommended, what do you use, any comment?

Im certain I will be looking for more advice, but for now I will concentrate on the above. First impressions of the car are that it's a hoot, I look forward to having it fully sorted.

Cheers

Ian

I'll answer what I can:

1. Totally normal.
2. Common fault though I've not encountered.
3. Normal, a remap can smooth it out apparently.
4. Get someone knowledgeable to do it!
6. Several people have had their wheels re-trimmed with great results.
7. Mine too, not got round to cleaning though.
8. I use VPower and do notice the car seems to pull better and is less lumpy at idle than on 95 RON.

Reaction score
as mentioned above,

1. Normal. nothing to worry about.
2. As Liam mentioned 1 series ones fit too apparently, genuine ones are silly price (few hundred quid) but dont fit standard clio struts unless you want a dent in the roof from the spoiler ;)
3. Thats typical, just way the power band is, 98RON map ive got doesnt change that, cams or different inlet will be only way thats changed tbh coupled with map.
4. Worth getting 182 cup dampers if you want to keep it on road, standard spring will go on them too. Worth getting 2 people to do it if fitting 182 ones as the arb will fight back lol, Sachs are fine because the body is shorter overall.
5. Mines same, tried and failed to change it xD can be done with patience though so will attempt in future again. Just really fiddly. Fixing screws are hidden underneath trim panel between heater control surround and head unit.
6. Easily changed, had mine retrimmed. Head over to Cliosport for some details of retrims.
7. Plenty of Auto Glym interior shampoo and normal washing powder with stiff scrubbing brush is best first then rinse. Pull out and close in door or cable tie to stop them retracting.
8. Always used Optimax/V-power in mine.

Have fun, had mine a while now and still puts smile on my face.

Reaction score
SGS now do one specifically for the Trophy just do a search on their site for it but it's a couple more pounds than the BMW one series one.

Reaction score
I can say after having a new clutch cable fitted, you are all very wrong about them being heavy, but ofc, everyone has there own idea of what heavy is, but mine is only slightly heavier than a normal clutch now

Reaction score
Seems that every thing you have mentioned is pretty much a typical trophy.

Some good answers there

#3 is definitely normal and is when the variable value timing comes in,nothing will get rid of it thats what it is supposed to do.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've had pretty much all the problems you've listed.

Must order some of those struts as mine are dead! The gen Renault ones were £165 each the last time I checked.

Managed to replace my heater panel but what a nightmare!

When I cleaned the seat belts I used soap powder in hot water and scrubed them with a hard brush!

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I'm looking forward to getting the various issues sorted. I have to say that having taken 161 for a couple of short blasts, I'm delighted with the cars ability. It's a real departure from my other toy and despite its obvious need for a damper overhaul it's incredibly predictable. Lift off oversteer on dry Tarmac, spectacular!