G

I've a bit of a dilemma on my hands here, guys:

My girlfriend and I are going away to Reims and Disneyland Paris next week, but I've just phoned up Admiral and they say they won't comprehensively insure me on the Trophy in Europe until I'm 20 (at the end of July). So this means I have the choice of either driving the Trophy with third party insurance in France or borrowing my Dad's 5 Series for the trip.

I've been really looking forward to driving the Trophy through some scenic places and getting some nice pictures by the old Reims grandstand. I know it's rather unlikely that my car would be damaged or stolen, but it would still be at the back of my mind. I'm comprehensively insured to drive in Europe in the 5 Series, but it's not my car, and while it's probably the perfect vehicle for this type of trip, it's just so refined and quiet that I end up travelling really rather quickly indeed down the autoroutes. Something, as I'm sure you're aware, the Gendarmerie don't appreciate too much.

Oh, what to do?!

Reaction score
I would never risk driving my car without comprehensive insurance. You'll kick yourself if it gets stolen or vandalised. Not worth the risk.

Plus, it will give you something to look forward to :)

O.

G

Yep. But then again I suppose that's why Admiral are cheap. ](*,)

Reaction score
Take the Beemer this time and plan a return trip in the Trophy after July taking in all the best driving roads ;)

G

I could well do that, actually. I'll have the lovely Milltek on by then too. :D

G

Right, I've come to a decision.

The Trophy it is. I want to take it 'home' (it's missing the smell of garlic) and it's going to be a fun car to do the trip in. I've managed to reach a good compromise with the insurance company, and so for £17 I have a car that's insured third party fire and theft, and when it's parked it's insured comprehensively (probably important with the interesting parking that goes on in France). :lol:

Glad I've got it sorted and I can now get excited about seeing Mickey Mouse and driving the lil' Clio through France. :)

Reaction score
I think you're mad, you'll be safer with the beemer, and have a more comfy trip... Just make sure you find a few twistie roads and make the trip worth it!

Reaction score
Take the BMW. It's perfect for that journey.
I've driven my Trophy to Paris and back loads of times and it's not great for it. When you come back you'll get back in the clio and love it.
If you took the clio it would feel horrible when you get back because you'll realise how crashy the clio is on the UK's roads! :shock: The French autoroute's are smooth and empty. The opposite to here :cry:

ps. I'm just bitter cause I just moved back to England and the roads are overcrowded with cars and speed camera's.

G

I'm off at some horrible hour tomorrow morning, so I'll speak to y'all when I'm back. Just about to go and do my tyres and oil etc on the lil' Clio. Cya!

Reaction score
Good luck chap! Mind and be back for the 24th for your Oulton Park trip! Take some pics too - i'm guessing the Milltek will be waiting for you when you get back too?

Reaction score
Have fun David, well done for winning the comp too, you lucky man, don't write the fecker off now will you? I'm going Frogside in 10 days, can't wait.

G

I really should be going to bed right about now, but I'm not tired! I'll keep us two and the Clio safe, don't worry. :wink:

Yes Luke, the Milltek should just about be done when I'm back. :D I only realised yesterday that it's Le Mans this weekend - sweet cars on the Eurotunnel! :D :D

Reaction score
I just assumed that's why yo were going, you've probably been told a million times already but don't even think about speeding anywhere in France around Le Mans time, they make more money out of us Brits than the French taxpayer, my Dad got stung for 200 Euros for doing 140km/h, which is about as fast as I'm going at the botttom of my Mum's driveway.

G

Got home last night and all was fantastic! The Clio was faultless the whole time, and yes, there were loads of nice cars around! There were a few French police about, but I figured they'd be all on the Le Mans routes, so as soon as I was off of them, the cruise control speed was upped. The only close call was on the way home - I had it set to 106mph (the cut-off point between a €250 and €750 fine) and drove right past a well-hidden speed trap. When I got to the next payage (about two miles down the road) I feared for the worst - €250 was already counted! Miraculously, it seems they'd already got an RS4 Cabriolet and a Z06 Corvette and couldn't care less about the little red Clio. It sometimes pays to drive a French car! :lol:

I'll put some pictures from my trip up later on.

Reaction score
Welcome back David - so you had a good trip huh? Good to hear the Trophy took everything in its stride, did you find any good driving roads over there? Looking forward to seeing some 'Trophy in homeland' pics ;)