#449 - Scottish excursion

Reaction score
Well a couple of weeks after buying the car and we are on our annual visit up to Northumberland and the Borders. It it was the usual sprint up the A1 to Scotch corner then on the more interesting bits up the west snide of it to a little place north of Hexham.

It was really the first run out in a car which was unknown to me, it's always a bit of a trip in any car but a 10 year old French built one makes it more of a challenge. #449 performed wonderfully, it was lovely on the A1 with the Janspeed hardly intrusive and the suspension was so good.

Day 2 and it's been a trip into the borders via Bellingham and Kielder, a stop at our favourite cafe in Newcastle ton then across the tops to Hawick. The car was frozen over first thing which wasn't a good omen for the roads up here, the road up to Kielder was frosted in patches but as we crossed the border the Scottish gritters had done a good job.

A drive at 7/10ths was all it needed to light up the car and explore the much acclaimed front end. The ability to pick a line and turn in is wonderful, the car feels like you could just keep dialling it into any given bend and it would follow. The suspension is just so well set up, not choppy, it doesn't pitch and kick back, the damping rate is just right.

Ive not driven my 200 for 12 months but my imagination tells me that the 182 engine feels somehow to have more torque, it could be the gearing of the 5 speed box but it does feel silky smooth and lovely power delivery. The Michelin Pilots are certainly quality rubber, with wet roads, many of them with water off the hills flowing across them, the tyres felt confident and planted.

All in all with a couple of hundred miles under my belt I have to say the car has exceeded all expectations, I did think I would be buying something on which 10 years and 70k would tell through rattles, bangs and general signs of wear and tear but it is a testament to the car and probably the care of the previous owners that the car feels probably as good today as it did in Oct 2005.

Here are a few pics ive taken hopefully

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reaction score
Great stuff Ashton! Make sure you join us in September in Wales! Epic trip! :) PS: Glad you found a good Trophy :) ENJOY!

Reaction score
Just a bit of an update to my original post.

We got back safely to sunny Yorkshire this afternoon after a bit of a snowy drive down the A68, a bit iffy in places but yet again the car didn't put a foot wrong

We did nearly 700 miles over the 5 days and loved every one of them. The border counties roads are just amazing and made for "point and squirt" cars. They have had a battering with the weather up there with standing water and water off the hills everywhere but the scenery and the roads always amaze.

My wife loved the car too, she actually said she preferred riding in it to the RS200, she said from where she was sitting it felt like it handled better and the ride was better!

The car looked like it had been through fields by the time we got home so first job was to make it look half right, plenty of water, pressure washer and snow foam have done the job for now.

Oh and re mount that back number plate, I think whoever fitted it had been on the vodka, it's straight now!
Just a a few more pics for anyone interested.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg