Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Hello quick update on my dilemma!!

Took 350z for test drive on Saturday morning very impressed with car overall. I was impressed with the availability of power from any gear and how the car handle through corners; not needing as much input as what the Trophy does. It flowed! Exhaust note and engine note is fantastic too.

Inside though I was surprised at the amount of plastic but was impressed by the Bose stereo and cool controls on wheel.

Still undecided as it is very impractical and would make shipping anything a nightmare.

On look out for an r26 to test drive again and the nI ll decide.

I ended up with a 350Z GT. Starting it and listening to the exhaust note is worth the impracticality of two seats by itself. I always break out in a huge smile when I hear that amazing engine - easily the most soulful car for the price.

It is also much harder to drive on the limit thanks to all of the torque it has... which to me makes it a very rewarding drive. There is no doubting its monumentus pace - track or road. You really end up in a long term love affair with the car - there is no way you can just get in it and drive it hard from day 1 which to me is a fantastic long-term ownership prospect. You really learn how to use all that torque, RWD and diff to a very satisfying effect, but you can't do it from day 1. It is a car you explore and learn to love while knowing that there is always another 5% to be squeezed out, just when you thought you knew everything there was about it!

Also - and it sounds silly - be prepared for attention. Even outside Harrods I had a group of tourists take a photo of it... I'm not sure why though. It is not a new car, nor does it have an iconic badge. But something about it makes people stop and stare. It could be that mine's orange... :D

From memory it is also one of the least depreciating cars on the market (Topgear magazine thinks it is the best in the market I think) which means that you're not going to lose much at all compared to the R26 which will easily hit 50-60% depreciation in 3 years. Thus the higher running costs (mainly fuel - but not by that much) are easily offset long-term.

Go with your heart... I've not had one single regret and I've covered 8k miles in 3 months :) It's also got classic Japanese servicing costs, despite the same output as a 996 :)

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Hmm, were you in the car? Maybe tourists thought you were Hugh Grant or Jude Law there Ollie? :wink:

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Hmm, were you in the car? Maybe tourists thought you were Hugh Grant or Jude Law there Ollie? :wink:

Lol... more like Mr. Bean! Think they were more in shock than anything else ;)

All the best from Singapore (32 degrees celcius today...).
O.

Reaction score
Had some spare time today so popped into Renault garage and they had a 57 plate r26. In black with full lux pack and black alloys. Very attractive.

With it being Christmas eve salesman was in mood to chat not sell. Was interesting to get his opinion on megane and he also showed me a 197 cup in white that had just arrived. Interesting vist shame I did not get test drive!

Offerred me the meg at 17500 or clio cup at 14250. Not bad. Slightly over my budget for megane but search continues!!