238/500 - 17,000 miles Trophy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im sure you are all aware of the car by now though I thought it worth creating a thread on the forum, incase interested parties wanted to pm or contact me through the site.

Everything is basically outlined in the pistonheads ad though it is worth noting that just this month we had all the belts replaced at our Renault Main dealer. They also serviced the car again (it was last serviced by Rentech on 23/03/2017). This isn't hyperbole but the Renault mechanics said it was the nicest used 182/Trophy they have ever worked on and also gave a written confirmation of its condition both cosmetically and mechanically which I can furnish to interested parties.

I can't stress how immaculate this car is and how impressive its paperwork and provenance is.

Also and most importantly... I am open to reasonable offers and will strive to do a very keen deal with any forum members.

The pistonheads ad...
https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...the-very-best-clio-trophy-s-in-the-uk/7100592

10p8ubt.jpg

Reaction score
Ahh I see so it was bought to sell on. Was thinking to myself 'whys he selling it after searching high and low for one' lol

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Ahh I see so it was bought to sell on. Was thinking to myself 'whys he selling it after searching high and low for one' lol

Not meaning to have a dig at seller but you will find a lot of traders / Buyers & sellers trolling through forums like these looking for good spec Trophy's or to get info on a Trophy for them to buy, Hold for a few days / weeks and then sell on.

Its easy pickings

Reaction score
Im a car enthusiast who buys and sells cars. I do drive and enjoy them and I do maintain an interest in the forum(s) although I may not post everyday.

Although I'm sure not many will believe it, I actually bought the car to keep for myself hence why I created the thread and sought out the very best example I could find. However the decision was taken to advance with plans to form and operate the company ahead of schedule so I opted to put it up for sale earlier than expected. I know there will be those who will be cynical of that claim but that is the case.

To return to the topic of the thread, yes the cars for sale, I've put several thousand into taking delivery, servicing and preparing it for sale. I strongly believe it's one of the very best examples in the county and the next owner will have bought themselves an awesome car

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Dablik.

1 previous owner. Car is currently in my own name. So 2 owners including myself. I must amend the Ad.

Reaction score
I like that, put several thousands on top (3 4 5 6 may be 7) to drive it back to Ireland, service it and give it a valet lol

We all know you done a sneaky one haha

I bet you only filled out the V5 in your name to show the previous owner that your a genuine private buyer, we all know how that works [emoji106]

As your in the trade, why not fill out the trade section and keep it as 1 owner?

Oh i forgot that way you can't tax it and rally it around!!

Good luck selling it for 17k with almost 3 owners [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Jason. As I say, there's always going to be cynical people.

I've explained my position I think more than enough. I'll leave it at that.

Reaction score
I have always questioned Does the number of owners actually matter? As it depends who bought and maintained the car!! My trophy had 7 owners which I thought wasn't bad for 12 years with some paperwork and in reality yes a 1 owner car sounds great on paper but it is likely to have seen more of the garage door than a B road which I think is sad for a car which should be driven!

Mine is up to 120k and I am doing 3,000 miles a month in it so Hopefully have the highest mileage Clio.. maybe that might add value to it!!:)

But ultimately whilst I would like to think the trophys are an enthusiasts car and maintained to a high standard the stark reality is that it is a red Clio with nice seats and better dampers(not sure they are great for everyday driving)which is appreciating and as a result people will want to make money on it! Fair play to Stefan if he makes a few quid on it, but I would be questioning why someone would pay more than the original rrp price for it!

I am sure in 10years time if they are a £40k car I will need some tissues and be kicking myself but for the time being I am not that bothered!! It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

Stefan - if you are bored it would be good to compare on an actual road the performance of your car vs mine or similar and see if 12 years of mileage has made the engine a 1.2 or it still matches yours! My view would be the later!

Cheers

Pete

Reaction score
Agree that the number of owners when a car bought to enjoy and is 10+ years old wouldn't be a problem for me (history & condition are all important). But these low miles, high priced examples are different. Anyone willing to pay close to £17k for an investment/ornament Trophy will expect only one or two previous owners.

Regardless, GLWTS Stefan, if I was a rich man I'd give 238 a good home (and a good thrashing regularly).

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine is up to 120k and I am doing 3,000 miles a month in it so Hopefully have the highest mileage Clio.. maybe that might add value to it!!:smile:
Pete, there's a guy with a Trophy that has over 230,000 miles on it... there's your target! :)